Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I am torn between these two projectors and need some advice from the owners! I am looking to watch tv broadcasts (4:3 ratio) on it, as well as, the widescreen DVD movies (16:9 ratio). I have seen many issues for both of the projectors and have been weighing the pro's and con's.

LCD vs. DLP vs. LCOS vs CRT

yadda yadda

I have to spend under $1400 for a projector....

Which one should I purchase?

The projector is going to ceiling mounted in my basement. No light source to contend with, and I can mount it as far for the screen as needed...

Please help me out with this choice...

Your personal advice is warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated.

TIA,

John

·
Registered
785 Posts
If you watch a lot of standard def TV, I'd lean towards the X1. The DCDi circuitry does make a difference. In fact, the only real picture quality advantage I've seen between the X1 and the Z1 is in standard def 4:3 tv. The X1 is noticeably sharper than the Z1.

For all other sources (DVDs, HDTV), picture quality is a toss-up. It really comes down to if you like the look of dlp vs. lcd or vice versa.

Here are some other things (other than picture quality) to consider:

Z1 is native 16:9, X1 is 4:3. What aspect screen do you have?

X1 is easier to maintain (IMO). I have had to clean dust blobs from my Z1 a few times. Have had no dust blobs on X1. X1 doesn't even have a filter you need to clean.

Z1 is very easy to setup and install, mainly due to lens shift--a very hand feature for lining up your picture.

Z1 is quieter. If fan noise really, really bugs you, you'll be happier with the Z1.

And of course, there's always the screendoor vs. rainbows thing. I don't see rainbows, but I do see screendoor with the Z1, even with slight defocus.

Really, you'll be happy with eithe of these pjs. Just get one and stop agonizing over it!!

And make sure the place you get it from has a good return policy, just in case you decide you can't live with rainbows on X1 or screendoor on Z1--that way you can return it and get the other one.

mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
I watch a lot of 4:3 TV material mainly because I'm a sports nut and follow the local Cleveland teams. But, I also watch a lot of movies. Since video quality on TV broadcasts is so bad and the video quality on DVD's and HDTV is so good, I decided that it was best to go with a 16:9 aspect setup.

Honestly, once you see good HDTV, it is nearly impossible to watch 4:3 material again. My local cable monopoly (TimeWarner) started with 2 HD channels and in 3 months is now up to 9.5 channels (Fox is only a .5 on the HD scale) in HD. Football and baseball in HD is a real treat.

So this is what drove my decision. I've evaluated the X1 before (that's what got me hooked on projectors), but I wanted that big movie experience I could only get from a 16x9 solution. So I went out and bought a Studio Experience 1HD (aka Sanyo Z1) with a DaLite HCCV 110" screen for only a couple hundred more than your budget. Given the price drops and changes lately, you'd be in that ballpark. You can even make your own screen and save a few hundred more.

The Matinee 1HD isn't the end all be all of projectors, could have a deeper black level. But the color is amazing for the price and HD looks great on it. I must confess though, I have a completely light sealed room, so I have no ambient light problems.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dltf90
I wanted that big movie experience I could only get from a 16x9 solution. So I went out and bought a Studio Experience 1HD (aka Sanyo Z1) with a DaLite HCCV 110" screen for only a couple hundred more than your budget.
The X1 has a 16:9 mode for HD material and anamorphic dvds. I actually run a bigger picture on my X1 than on my Z1, mainly because screendoor on the Z1 starts to bug me as picture gets bigger. Both pjs will give you the big movie experience.

mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
Issues have come up lately concerning the bulb life of both of these units. It seems there has been a drop in confidence in the bulb life of the Z1 and increase for the X1.

Don't know how that comes into play for your choice...but its something to consider.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Z1 has more resolution for 16:9 content. I use my Z1 for watching HDTV and DVD and sometimes for using the computer ( it's OK as 1280x720 ). I find SDTV is not so good after watching HDTV, so I mostly use my old RPTV for SDTV, but I've watched F1 races in the wee hours on Sunday on the Z1 and it's great ( would be awesome in HDTV tho ). I don't find screendoor a problem from 1.5x.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought an X1 from Best Buy a few weeks ago. Plugged it in the first night, plopped in Monsters Inc. and was amazed. Not a rainbow to be seen.

Tried it again the next night with the U2 Elevation DVD. This concert recording has lots of steadicam shots, lots of mostly dark scenes with bright lights, and lots of camera motion. I saw rainbows all over the place.

The X1 went back to Best Buy and the Z1 is now on its way.

For standard TV only, where shots are typically bright and steady, I think the rainbow problem would be minimal. For certain movies with specific lighting and photographic techniques, however, I think the rainbows would be a real drag.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesL
The Z1 has more resolution for 16:9 content.
I know this is technically true. But honestly, I've watched lots of materials (HD & DVD) on both my Z1 and X1, and I just can't see any difference in resolution. I've even done side-by-side comparisons using the exact same source material, and both pictures look equally sharp and detailed. I really thought the Z1 would look a lot sharper with HD and DVDs, but as I said, I just can't see the difference. Maybe it's my eyes!:)

mike

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Flooper hits the nail on the head! Toss a coin. Both produce images that far exceed their price points. I did opt for the Z1 because of its input configuration and adjustment capabilities. You WILL be happy with either one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went with the Z1 mostly because of familiarity with LCD devices and the fact that I watch a lot of DVDs and the lens shift which made installing it easier. It's a great machine, but remember your 4:3 picture will be smaller on the Z1, whereas on say an x1 or similiar, you'll get the largest 4:3 picture possible and your widescreen picture will be the same size as it is on the Z1.

That being said, when I upgrade projectors in a year or so, I may actually go to a 4:3 machine as I plan to use a computer with the projector by then and prefer a 4:3 picture to a 16:9 for that application. So, if you plan to keep the projector for a while, think about how you might want to use it in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.