Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I have had my Z2 for about a year and a half now and I have noticed that as of late the fan noise seems to become significantly higher when I am watching something from a component video source in contrast to a DVI source. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this? I have not tweaked any factory settings, the bulb has 183 hours, and I regularly clean the filter.

Thanks in advance.

Julian

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I seem to recall many posts in the past on this subject. Obviously the fan will run louder when using the highest lamp mode, however, this does not seem to be the case in your situation. I have also heard that depending on room tempratures, the fan may pick up speed from time to time to keep the projector cool.

Not sure, I have not noticed such a pattern with my Z2 for over a year now...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't believe the Z2 has seperate settings for fan speeds for each input. Having the Z2 convert from analog to digital (vs all digital on DVI) should make negligible difference.

I'm guessing there is something else going on when you watch a component source. Do you have more people in the room? Do you watch for longer periods of time when using component source? Do you watch more critically when using your component source? Is it quieter in your house for some reason when you tend to use component source?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply...

No, it is just my wife and I ususally , and the time spent on a component source vs a dvi source is relatively the same. As for watching more critically on component, that could be a possibility, however I do know that there is in fact a definite change in fan speed. Perhaps it may just be some temperature related coincidences due to the summer heat?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Good suggestion Avery, not sure the Z2 has that ability, I believe on my Z2 the Lamp mode is in its own menu location different than the input menu's....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yes, the lamp mode stays the same when changing inputs on the Z2.

Also, on pages 28-29 of the service manual... fan settings are the same across all input modes of the Z2. Only changes are for mounting positions (normal, ceiling, wall, "H-Pre")... and all of those would be the same across all the inputs also. So, that's not it either.

Perhaps the brightness is set higher on component input??? I really can't think of much else that would cause this problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The brightness and contrast are higher on the component input vs the dvi input( component is receiving integra dvd player & xbox dvi is receiving dish 811).I'll try tweaking the settings on the dvd player in contrast to the projector settings and see what happens. Thanks again.

·
Registered
312 Posts
How do you guys like the Z2? I have a 4805 now and am starting to watch more HD. Was thinking for getting the Z2 as it seems to be a very affordable 720P machine.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've had the Z2 for a year and I love it. (I have a darkly painted dedicated theater with a Carada screen, so I have controllable light). Every time I think I should upgrade, I am either wowed by comments on people who see it for the first time "it looks like a Plasma!" or after I haven't seen it for a while myself. "I feel rich watching this!" haha

I just bought a $1,000 Samsung 30" HDTV CRT. Aside from the fact that it is a bit brighter, and its blacks are as black as outer space (the Z2's blacks are a very very dark grey), the picture isn't remarkably different on the whole from my Z2's image. It is just smaller.

That's a testament to a well calibrated projector, as the Samsung's picture, while smallish, is incredible.

My -only- gripe is occasional VB (which seems to disappear as the machine warms up) and dust accumlating inside the lens that no matter what I do to clean the unit won't go away. The filters on the Z2 are not that good.

The Z2 otherwise is an outstanding, incredible bargain for a 720P true HD projector.

-P

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.