Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I had a thread going about a month ago where I was having trouble with my PLV60 and my new HD cable service.

I'm happy to report that I discovered the answer to that problem, but the solution has made the dreaded blooming problem rear its ugly head again.

I'd been feeding my PLV60-HT with a Denon 3800 progressive DVD via a 50ft. component cable into Input 3. When I added HDTV to the mix, the HDTV picture was very dark. I could see no details in any of the pictures no matter how I tweaked the contrast/brightness, etc. I finally remembered I had adjusted the AVCLMP values in the service menu to lower the blooming problems I had been having.

Those service menu entries are #s 32-34. My non-blooming values were around 002B. Resetting those service menu entries to their original values of around 005B fixed the HDTV, but has made white scenes and objects on DVDs bloom uncontrollably. (The Two Towers was especially hard to watch :( )

Has anyone had luck with Sanyo in getting their blooming fixed? If so, how did you do it? Anyone have suggestions of other service menu adjustments to examine to get great pictures with DVD & HDTV sources?

Finally, could Steve's SMART III system help my situation?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
189 Posts
I used smart to calibrate my DVD settings and then decreased the contrast and saturation of MyHD. The picture is much better now.

I had spent a lot of time doing different calibrations and thought my SE13hd was in good shape until I bought SMART. WOW is the difference it made in the picture.

Jim

:D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,

Thanks for your input, but did you have the blooming problem before you used the SMART system? It's a very strange problem since when I switch inputs I can actually see some kind of adaptation happening.

For example, input 3 will show some small signs of the blooming problem & I'll switch to input 1, which is blooming out of control. After a couple of seconds, I can actually see the blooming become less while watching input 1.

It makes me really think something is wrong with the projector.

Anyone else use SMART or ColorFacts? Any ideas about the underlying problem?

Thanks!

Brad

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is just my personal experience without SMART. I have found on my SE13 that I don't have the blooming problem with DVD on Input 3 if I use just the interlaced output of my Toshiba SD6200; if I use the progressive output, it'll start to bloom out of control after a few minutes.

My DTC100 on Input 1 has never had a problem with blooming of any significance. There's only a very minor amount from time to time, and rarely detracts from the viewing experience. HDTV images, particularly video, with this setup are simply beautiful.

I also hooked up an HTPC to Input 1 running at 1360x768p and had no problems with blooming on DVD playback.

With those experiences, I may buy a scaler/deinterlacer that can res up to computer resolutions for progressive display. It seems like the projector either wants high resolutions for progressive input or interlaced input for NTSC stuff. I'm sure SMART probably helps a lot, but the internal hardware of this thing is just a bugger.

Just my 0.02

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
What is "Blooming" ?

If you mean White crush (lost or no detail in the highlight's) then we understand, digitals can't "bloom"--only CRT's.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jimmmmbo,

Thanks for the observation about interlaced vs. progressive. I've used the progressive outputs on my Denon 3800 exclusively. I'll try switching to the interlaced output and see if that makes a difference. If so, maybe I'll try an external deinterlacer....

----------

JimmyR,

Sorry for the terminology mix-up. Sounds like I am seeing "white crush". It does look an awful lot like CRT blooming, so I guess that's why I picked up that term. :)

Regardless, any details in extremely bright areas of the picture usually get washed out. It could be something as simple as light reflecting off a person's forehead, to a streetlight, to the top of Gandalf's glowing staff...

Brad

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got my PLV-60 in Feb of 2002 ... and it had the blooming problem.

It would manifest itself as a creeping yellow-white satuation of all the bright areas of the screen. This occured after a few minutes of watching. It only happened when displaying progressive 480p content from my RP56 DVD player. Turning my RP56 from progressive-out to interlace-out and back fixed the problem...for another 3-4 minutes.

After reading posts on the forum, I took my PLV-60 to Sanyo Canada with my DVD player and disks and showed them the problem. They kept my unit for about 2 weeks and fixed the problem with some sort of firmware/component change. I am completely happy. This fix was then communicated to all Sanyo service centers and HQ. I dont think any later generation units should have the problem.

You dont need to mess around with the service menu - take your unit to Sanyo or to your dealer and insist they fix this for you.

Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
I run everything through Input 1. (HTPC with MyHD)

I did have crushing of whites before. I could never seem to get adjusted properly to not have crushing and still get decent picture from DVD and HD.

Now all is well. I calibrated DVD with SMART. Then I decreased the default contrast and saturation of MyHD by a couple of notches.

One of the biggest things that we noticed was in LOTR I. If you look at the helmet of the Dwarf. Before calibration, we never realised that it had gold highlights. I have use video essentials etc. before and never got a could color balance over all ranges of brightness.

Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
JimmyR and all:

I think the term "blooming" is used as more of a general term, and is probably not real descriptive of the problem. From my reading, the problem with the PLV-60 and SE 13HD has probably been better described as "posterization". In any case, it appears as a manifestation of bright areas, usually whites, that appear to "glow" out of control and turn into large areas of pixelized, poorly resolved "globs" of brightness. On this projector, it's become well known that the internal electronics are attempting (with poor success) to interpret the image and trying to compensate over time to provide the best picture. Not good.

Sanyo apparently has had a fix for some time, but only to those who have taken the time to work with them, and do some research here as well. If you do a search for the username Robert_S and the topic of PLV-60 over the last year or two you'll find some interesting reading about this. It looks like dmance did that and cured his. I've yet to go this far myself.

For my viewing, it becomes a matter of what I'm willing to tolerate. I don't get the best moving picture possible feeding interlaced into this projector from a DVD player since it's deinterlacer is rather subpar. But it has eliminated the "posterization" problem, so I live with it for now. It's something that most people can get used to if you're not too critical.

Of course, an HTPC putting out 1360x768p on Input 1 will solve the problem altogether for DVDs. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.