AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone experiencing rapid fan speed changes with their PLV60? Are you hearing fan speed changes on the order of 5-20 seconds, or even less than a minute? I assume the fan responds to a temperature sensor and increases speed as it gets hotter from the bulb while running, then decreases speed as the temperature drops. (?)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, I have heard this also with my unit. Very noticable in quiet scenes. I gave mine a good cleaning with compressed air, cleaning all of the filters and generally dusting the insides as you would when removing those pesky dust balls.

I think I have a lot of dust in my room, as I can see it floating in front of the lens when the PJ is on. So it seems I am in there every five weks or so cleaning it out. Also have mine ceiling mounted and I feel this causes the projector to run hotter than it would otherwise as the fans that are on the bottom which should suck cool air in, are now on top sucking hot air in.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just pulled down my ceiling mounted PLV60, and lo and behold, the dust filters were completely clogged with a layer of dust. As the filters were new since June 2002, I didn't think they could clog so fast!

The projector barely ran from June through October, due to summer and Fall activities. Also, every September/October, the central forced air natural gas furnace gets its filter replaced. The furnace uses the more elaborate "accordion" type, high surface area filter, rather than the single pane type, so I thought I'd have less dust than the average home.

So, basically just 6 or 7 weeks of use really clogs the filters. It is no problem to clean them, and the filters are much finer than my first projector, a Mitsubishi X100 XGA LCD, which used a single large foam filter.

The PLV60's filters look like they will last longer than foam, and appear easy to get completely clean with an air blaster, blowing from the projector side out.

So, it appears that we have a simple way to know if the filters are clogged- listen to the fans!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.