AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having searched numerous threads and been unable to find a clean answer, I pose the following questions (if they seem rudimentary or obvious, I apologize - I am just getting familiar with all the equipment and terminology)

1. If I am feeding my projector component in from a dvd player and set the projector to auto image, I am getting a 480P image, correct?

2. If I am getting such a 480P image, how do I get the machine to scale DVD to 720P (for some reason I am having trouble doing this). Do I have to feed it some other way (RGB, DVI)? Currently I am feeding it component through input 3.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Andy,

Regardless of what format you are feeding the projector it will always be scaled to the native format of the LCD panels for display -- which in this case is 1366 x 768. All sources also must become progressive before they can be viewed. You can either do that outside the unit via a 480p DVD player of some sort of box (Iscan, Faroudja, etc) or you can utilize the systems built into the projector. So if you feed it 480i, you are using the projectors internal deinterlacer and scaler. If you feed it 480p you are bypassing the internal deinterlacer and just using the scaler. 720p would use just the scaler. 1080i would use the scaler to reduce the image to 1366 x 768 and the deinterlacer would make that image progressive.

I hope this helps a bit.

MIKE

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
1. yes

2. you can scale to 720p with an outboard scaler but I don't konw what you would gain as DVD's are 480 i/p format. I've heard of it being done but with marginal results. Good scalers are expensive. Enjoy 480p, The Sanyo won't/can't upscale and doesn't need to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great - thanks guys. I never realized how much I would get involved in figuring out ways to get what, for me, is already an amazing image, better. I appreciate the quick feedback.

Andy

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
WHY ARE GUYS USUNG HTPC'S FOR PLAYING MOVIES FROM THERE DVD. sorry had cap lock on. not yelling:)

Is it really worth all tyhe truble of hooking up a pc to the plv 70. I ask this because I have not seen it done with any projector, but the htpc forum is huge and growing. makes me curious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.