AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I took the advice of many members and got the PLV 70, HC cinema screen, HTPC with a 9700 pro and run powerstrip at 1360 x 768 on TheaterTek.

And, since now everything is working flawlessly, I have nothing else to hook up. And, while I should just watch DVDs now, I can't help but want to fiddle a bit more. So, I'm here to ask, whats this AVIA thing people talk about and if I attempt to calibrate my PJ can I get a better picture? Or do I calibrate the HTPC and not the projector??

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Calibrated your projector with AVIA , which is a DVD with test patterns and instructions for making improvements to your image is certainly a good investment. You can even take it a step farther and use one of the calibration tools such as SMART. You can get more info here .

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Avia is very good for black level/brightness and white level/contrast, though it takes a little repetition to get the eye for it. It is easy on the sharpness adjustment too. But I can't make the color thing work to save my life. It looks like I have done it as right as I can every time, but I get wildly varying results, and it has never looked right. I just don't have it.

General advice - don't stray too awfully far from the factory presets. You are tweaking, so small moves.

The danger of any gross calibration is you will presume from you technique that you have done it right, and that the picture MUST be correct, though your gut may tell you differently. Then you will work hard to get used to a screwy picture. That will cause you to be off for months and it takes a while to get back. If you get that feeling, reset and start over. I find it helps to run back and forth comparing the same program to a well adjusted direct view. (But we have a little chicken and egg problems there, because you need to know what a good TV picture looks like first). Sometimes it's a good learning experience to use Avia on your direct views first, just for the practice and to have a reference to work from.

i.e. Don't get used to Boone's Farm, you won't like the good stuff.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JHouse
General advice - don't stray too awfully far from the factory presets. You are tweaking, so small moves.
Aren't these all preserved in the cinema setting?

BB

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Yes, and maybe even in the standard setting. I think you only can change the memories. The danger is getting used to something screwy. You'll spend a lot of time walking in circles in the woods thereafter.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
The 20HD/PLV-70 desperately needs a gray scale calibration once you dial in basic user settings. My experience is that the out-of-box setting emphasizes blue/red in the lower IRE, and green in the upper IRE. An easy way to check is to watch a widescreen B&W movie, like "Some Like It Hot." Using SMART, and accessing the BIAS controls in the service menu will guide you to the right settings. With all three panels working in concert, the colors will ring true. Enjoy :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.