AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, has anyone used plywood instead of sheetrock for their walls. I plan on using theatershield and Fabric to cover my walls, so is there any reason to go through the labor of sheetrocking. Plywood(in my opinion) is much easier to work with. I figure I could using caulking to fill all seems. It also seems that plywood would be better at containing sound. Are there any negatives? I'm not concerned about future resale reasons for using sheetrock. It just makes sense that since all wall surface area is going to be covered that plywood would work well. Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ok, this is what I am doing. I put a layer of 1/2 OSB through out the theater. I am then going to put a layer of 1/2 sheet rock over that. From my point of view it was easier to put a layer of plywood under the final sheet of drywall. The plywood is easier to work with, and I can shoot screws anywhere. Not just on the studs. I am not sure what it would be like with just the plywood, but I don't think it would be better then drywall.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I believe that plywood and OSB are not as dense, and therefore not as isolating as drywall. If you are not worried about the isolation, then I can't imagine an acoustic problem with using plywood.

The only issue, now that I think about it, might be a fire code issue. I really don'tknow about that.

Ted

·
Registered
283 Posts
For an equal thickness, I think the sheetrock has a higher density also, which translates to better sound isolation. Also, I think the resonance properties of the plywood are not as desirable as the sheetrock. I would think MDF might be a better solution than the plywood if you're opposed to going sheetrock.

·
Registered
366 Posts
In addition to the concerns of the others....I would also say that I cant remember the last time I worked with a warped piece of sheetrock. Plywood on the other hand.......well.......maybe consider one layer of 5/8" (firecode)sheetrock.

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
3/8" plywood has virtually the same absorbancy at 125Hz as does 1/2" drywall. It has higher absorbancy above that. Below 125Hz, drywall is better.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thank you everyone for your responses. After reading all of your thoughts, I guess I'll stick with the sheetrock. The reason I was looking for alternatives is because I really just dread sheetrocking. I plan on doing two layers 1/2 and 5/8. Oh well, I guess plywood wouldn't have been much easier anyway. At least hanging sheetrock is better than insulating(though I guess only a little bit.)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Save yourself the effort and don't mud and tape the seams. You're going to cover it anyway.

Drywall will be easier than plywood anyway. Much easier to custom cut, and that's a real asset since no rooms are plumb and square.

Ted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.