AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m have a little bit of anxiety over hanging my RS4500 next weekend. My access above the projector location is a lot less than ideal (AC unit right on top), so I just mounted an 18” x 18” 3/4” plywood panel across my 16” OC ceiling joists. Is this going to be able to hold the beast, or should I look into hiring an umpaloompa to block it in? The sag calculations I’ve run say it’s OK (plus the drywall underneath adds some degree of hold not in a shelf calc), but I’d like the opinion of someone with more experience.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I looked it up and looks like it's about 95lbs. 3/4" plywood should be able to support that no problem if you've bolted it to the studs/joists. Your typical subfloor, for comparison, is 5/8" plywood/OSB.

You'd be more secure mounting the projector directly to the studs of course.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked it up and looks like it's about 95lbs. 3/4" plywood should be able to support that no problem if you've bolted it to the studs/joists. Your typical subfloor, for comparison, is 5/8" plywood/OSB.

You'd be more secure mounting the projector directly to the studs of course.
That triggered an idea. I might be able to buy a slightly bigger Chief plate and hit the rear joist plus still have the clearance I need behind the projector.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they make one about 8 inches square. They also make a track that can span two joists and the attachment for the down pole slides along the track.
There is the man I was hoping to hear from. I have the 8” one now, but I would need a 12” (nonexistent) to get the right placement. I think I’ll just return the 8” and order the 16” OC one instead just to play it safe. Unless you think my 18” square plywood is sufficient?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts