AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought this unit from Sears Saturday. We got what I thought was a great price-$630.00 less than BB. We were looking at the Hitachi 51s700 and the Sony 51ws550. The Sony was the cheapest then the Mits then the Hitachi. Now I am reading reviews on getting it professionally calibrated, problems with grey scale, burn in problems, etc that I think we have made a bad choice. Any advice? We watch dvd's, use basic comcast cable and hope to pick up few local channels HD with built in tuner and buy an antennae.

p.s. The price we paid was about $100.00 less than I can find on the internet.

·
Registered
474 Posts
don't worry all tvs can have problems. the Mitsu is a great tv, if it looks good to you then don't worry about it.

So people are after the ultimate picture, so they'll pay $3-400 dollars to have it professionally calibrated, many people do not and are perfectly happy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have the 55413 so of course I think you got a good TV. Burn-in issue I am confused about though. Do you think there is more of a burn-in problem with the Mits then other RPCRT's ? Because clearly I do not think that is the case. And as far as burn-in goes you will get 5 million opinions, but I for one have never had it be an issue.

·
Registered
474 Posts
agreed, burn-in CAN be a problem but some basic things like turning down the contrast and brightness can mitigate that risk.

check your contrast if you haven't already, mine was set to 100% out of the box, i turned it down to about 30% and i'm still happy with it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Enjoy your new TV. Many will tell you all the bad things that could happen. While they are doing that, you are enjoying a great picture.

It is good to educate yourself on what to avoid (like for example, probably not a good idea to leave video games on the screen for an extended period of time (days)), but occasional use is fine.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Make sure to give the set ample time to break in. About 100 hours from what I hear. I am going on about 50 hours with my new 48413 and have seen some changes to the screen, especially when watching SD content. The picture is getting better. I have done the 64 point convergence on it a few times and that is helping.

I love my set and the HD content on it is nothing short of stunning.

Don't doubt for a second about your purchase. The Mitsu's are great TV's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all for your advice and putting my fears at ease.

Now where would I start to find out info on antenna's, cables, advice on what to do when they deliver this thing and the such?? TIA

·
Registered
237 Posts
Antennas I'm no help as I can't use one. Cables don't spend the big bucks on Monster Cables but don't go cheapo either. Immediately turn the contrast down on every input you use. Enjoy your TV. Too much glare? Pop the screen protector off. It is very easy to do.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foowigs
Antennas I'm no help as I can't use one. Cables don't spend the big bucks on Monster Cables but don't go cheapo either. Immediately turn the contrast down on every input you use. Enjoy your TV. Too much glare? Pop the screen protector off. It is very easy to do.
I would caution anyone from popping off the protective screen, especially if you're a parent of younger children. I would hate to see your screen get permanently scratched.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Audiom it's a risk I took. My old Mits didn't have one as it was an option back then. My kids never bothered it neither has my goofball lab. The only place we can put the tv is opposite windows. The glare is awful. We almost went DLP because of this but when the guy told us we can take the screen off easy on the Mits ( their customer surveys told them a lot of people want them off ) we went with it. Many people take the screens off.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had to take the screen off my 65413. It is so much better now - and there is not much glare in my room. But with the glare screen on, I could always see reflections of myself and everything in the room while watching TV - very distracting.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foowigs
Audiom it's a risk I took. My old Mits didn't have one as it was an option back then. My kids never bothered it neither has my goofball lab. The only place we can put the tv is opposite windows. The glare is awful. We almost went DLP because of this but when the guy told us we can take the screen off easy on the Mits ( their customer surveys told them a lot of people want them off ) we went with it. Many people take the screens off.

What's wrong with thicker/darker curtains? Ideally you want a dark viewing room anyway, so they solve both issues.

I guess I'm just paranoid because even my protective screen has scratches from the kids.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The wife factor. She doesn't like the cave atmosphere. Also the previous poster brings up the point about just plain old reflections that at this point to me are very annoying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.