AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided to take back my Paradigm Mini Monitors and CC-370 to my dealer because I had listened to the PMC DB1+.

I ordered them today! 2 PMC DB1+ for L-R and DB1+ Center. I just could not believe the sound generated by these small speakers, rich and clear!

Give me feedback on these! Also, I will be needing to replace 2 in-ceiling speakers for surround. I would like some suggestions on what I should do about the surrounds?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I am also a PMC owner (7 * TB2's). I would suggest getting more DB1+'s - just use the wall mounts. I think they can be angled and used for ceiling mount. You wonder why PMCs are used in studio mixing :) I actually came across 4 more TB2S's via the web while looking for an EQ. I snapped them up and they hopefully arrive this week. The only downer is that buddy is taking them off my hands. He is the second guy who went PMC after listening to my TB2s. Funny, I bought my PMCs after hearing the IB1's at another friends house.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I bought a pair of DB1Ss for my DAW studio, unheard, and wow! I had a pair of Dynaudio BM15s (10" woofs) and needed lots of power, but, now amazing. Great bass extension, hoping to upgrade to TB2s for my home theater. Already had Bryston amps and read some great stuff about PMCs, even had them send me the lit from mostly their bigger stuff, before I had figured out the naming scheme.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got my PMC's today! Wow! They sound great and definitely better then the Paradigm's mini-monitors, although for the price, the mini-monitors are a great buy.

But the sound is so much clearer and richer with the PMCs! I am happy!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! Nice products! :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
PMC is on my list of speakers to audition before the next upgrade. I will be looking at a 5-channel setup most likely with FB1 or GB1 fronts. Can anyone compare the sound of these two speakers, especially in terms of midrange clarity.

Unfortunately, I need to drive to CA to audition these and never seem to find the time.

Bob

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Simple
PMC is on my list of speakers to audition before the next upgrade. I will be looking at a 5-channel setup most likely with FB1 or GB1 fronts. Can anyone compare the sound of these two speakers, especially in terms of midrange clarity.

Unfortunately, I need to drive to CA to audition these and never seem to find the time.

Bob
Bob

If you will alway be using a sub and thus have your speakers x-overed. Then I would go for the TB2's as they use the same driver complement as the FB1. The TB2's are 1/2 the price of the FB1's at least when I bought my TB2s and are much easier to place because they are bookshelves. The only time I would consider the FB1's is if I wanted to run them full range and had 5 identical ones for SACD / DVD-A. The GB1's are the floor standing version of the DB1+'s. Not the same bottom end as the FB1's

PMC recently updated their lines. Previously the TB2, FB1 and DB1 all used a Vifa metal dome tweeter. Very easy to see.

The current models use a black soft dome tweeter (Vifa I think) and made a small change in the cross over and use new dampening material. These speakers are not called TB2+, FB1+ and DB1+. The GB1 always had the soft dome.

The mid range clarity on the PMCs are why I bought my TB2's (similarly voiced to the FB1s). Apparently it is better now with the "+" models. If you really want to get spoiled listen to the IB1's or IB2's (much more $) and you will be spoiled for life in terms of midrange clarity. There is no to very little compression in the midrange on the IB1 and IB2s so you can crank the system and the mids and highs and the bass for that matter are still crystal clear.

Edit.

I recently found some TB2's on close out at a pro mixing studio. My buddy snapped them up. I was at his house on Wed and even using two TB2's on a first gen JVC DTS / DD receiver these things sounded great. We took the 2nd pair and hooked them up to his analog rig (Antique Sound Lab pre and monoblocks) and with a Rega P3 and Rega phono stage - these things were very detailed in the midrange especially with the female voice. I was going to keep these 4 new found TB2's along with a spare TB1C I had for my second system but I was a nice guy and decided to share the joy with friends.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Eric-

Thanks for your reply. I really need to make some time to go audition these speakers.

These speakers are going into a small room and will be crossed over with a sub. The reason for the floorstanders in the front is more about aesthetics as dictated by "the boss." Every time we look at monitors, we end up near the price of the floorstanders by the time we add stands (did I mention that "the boss" just hates stands?).

Assuming FB1s for L/R, it sounds like the TB2s would be a great timbral match for the surrounds and center. Are you using the TB2s for HT? I am assuming that dynamics and intelligibility are good on the TB2 center since the PMCs see a lot of use in mixing studios for movies.

Bob

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Simple
Eric-

Thanks for your reply. I really need to make some time to go audition these speakers.

These speakers are going into a small room and will be crossed over with a sub. The reason for the floorstanders in the front is more about aesthetics as dictated by "the boss." Every time we look at monitors, we end up near the price of the floorstanders by the time we add stands (did I mention that "the boss" just hates stands?).

Assuming FB1s for L/R, it sounds like the TB2s would be a great timbral match for the surrounds and center. Are you using the TB2s for HT? I am assuming that dynamics and intelligibility are good on the TB2 center since the PMCs see a lot of use in mixing studios for movies.

Bob
Bob,

The TB2+'s have the same driver complement as the FB1+'s adn the GB1+'s have the same driver complement for the DB1's. All four use the same tweeter. Yes PMC's are used in many mixing studios. If you go on the PMC website you can see the TB2 in a mobile mixing truck. I believe IMAX also uses TB2's for mixing. If you look at my HT pictures at my signature you can barely make out the TB2's (crappy picture) on the screen facing shot. Yes the centre is great but you do have to have it away from boundries as it is rear "ported" ok transmission line otherwise you get a chestiness sound. In which case you need to EQ. I was forced to put my centre in accoustically sub optimal spot for any rear ported design.

Surprised the boss went for aesthetics over cost. Stands aren't that much. Oh well that's why they call them the boss.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Quote:
Surprised the boss went for aesthetics over cost. Stands aren't that much. Oh well that's why they call them the boss.
When it comes to how things look, money is usually less of a concern than appearance. She thinks that floorstanders look more like furniture than standmounts. I've tried convincing her that she should consider the speakers on their stands as sculpture but have been told that "you're going to have to do better than that." :)

Thanks for your info. I am really looking forward to giving the PMCs a listen. I also need to audition Dynaudio and Totem speakers. My current shortlist is Vienna Acoustic Mozarts and ProAc Studio 140s.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
i work at reel time site & sound in dana point. if you guys have any ? about pmc speakers and about buying them i would be more the happy to help you. o and if you live around orange county you can come and take a look at pmc"s your self we are on pch and golden lantern in dana point

34174 pch dana point CA 92629 (949)-240-0555

·
Registered
47 Posts
Those PMC speakers are really great speakers, i'm probably going to buy the db1+'s this weekend, comparing them to paradigm studio 20's. The amount of detail combined with a big 3d sound stage is great, and the top is nice and not as tizzy or clinical as pretty much all speakers are made these days...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
We agree...PMC's are great speakers. Been selling them for a few years now and we are nothing but happy. I set up an MB-2/XBD system for one of my clients last year and that is THE best sounding speaker system I've heard in 25 years of selling audio...flat out scary good! I have DB-1's with an XB-1 in my office hooked up to the computer...fun! Also, the Flying Mole digital amps are an excellent combo to the PMC's...that is what the guys at PMC are using on the active versions (DB1S-A and TB2S-A). We sell an upgrade kit that will transform your passive versions into the same active versions...or you can buy FM amps from us and just use them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.