AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post in, please redirect me if that's the case.

I recently bought my first HDTV and have noticed that compared to a Sony my in-laws have the image is far from crisp. The TV in question is a Samsung PN50B540 and the image quality is pretty much the same when hooked up via HDMI (Monster 750HD, 11Gbps, HDMI 1.4 cable) and component. Quality is the same on my Bell ExpressVU PVR and PS3. Viewing distance is 8 or 9 feet.

Anything seriously wrong stick out to anyone?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It may just be the difference in a plasma vs an LCD. The sony is an LCD I assume. They tend to have a more sharper edge than a plasma, at least to my eyes. Let a few other folks chime in though.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhearsum /forum/post/18214522

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post in, please redirect me if that's the case.

I recently bought my first HDTV and have noticed that compared to a Sony my in-laws have the image is far from crisp. The TV in question is a Samsung PN50B540 and the image quality is pretty much the same when hooked up via HDMI (Monster 750HD, 11Gbps, HDMI 1.4 cable) and component. Quality is the same on my Bell ExpressVU PVR and PS3. Viewing distance is 8 or 9 feet.

Anything seriously wrong stick out to anyone?

There, I figured out your problem. You spent $150 too much on an HDMI cable. You could have spent 5 bucks on a cable, and put the extra $150 towards buying a 50B650.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Like willie said, I think that you're just noticing the difference between the two technologies (LCD vs. Plasma). How does your set look in the dark? It should look pretty damn spiffy. Do you have your set in a bright room?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'm definitely going to be returning the overpriced cable.

I'm still fiddling, but have noticed that it does look a little better in the dark.

Williemon, you might be correct in that I'm simply used to LCD. Can lack of motion blur be interpreted as blurriness?

·
Registered
6,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhearsum /forum/post/18215430

Thanks for your replies. I'm definitely going to be returning the overpriced cable.

I'm still fiddling, but have noticed that it does look a little better in the dark.

Williemon, you might be correct in that I'm simply used to LCD. Can lack of motion blur be interpreted as blurriness?

You should not have motion blur issues with a plasma.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh /forum/post/18215883

You should not have motion blur issues with a plasma.

Sorry, I think I spoke poorly. My eyes are *accustomed* to motion blur so I'm wondering if watching a TV *without* motion blur affects my perception.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts