AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I should preface this by stating that I've been a huge DLP fan for years, but just over a week ago I purchased the Samsung PN50B560 plasma for the family room in my new house. I won't get into all the details, but I was really sold on the 2009 plasmas over LCD's, not the least of which is the difference in price when comparing to the 240hz LCD's. Anyway, I purchased from my local Video Only store and I had my selection narrowed down to the PN50B560 and the PN50B650. The latter model was selling for $50 more and clearly had much less glare on the screen. Well, when I purchased the TV I had only been in the new house for 2 days and I didn't really think glare would be much of an issue, so I went with the lower priced model.

Long story short, I've moved the PN50B560 3 times already due to glare and my wife is extremely unhappy with the new purchase. That said, I've contacted Video Only and they are willing to exchange it for me and let me pay the $50 difference for the PN50B650 (kudos to Video Only for such great service). So now my question to you guys, and preferrably owners of this model, is in a real world environment (outside of a showroom), does this model in fact do a good job of relieving glare, at least when compared to my model? Also, aside from the Yahoo widgets, which I honestly don't care about, does the 650 model have any other advantages over the 560? Thanks much for any input.

-Ryan

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To partially answer my own question, I found on Samsung's site that my 560 has 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio while the 650 has a 3,000,000:1 ratio. I'm not sure how noticeable that difference would be to the average viewer, but it has sold me - I'm going to go do the exchange tonight. I just hope that the "FilterBright" anti-glare filter works as well as I want it to.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushlash1978 /forum/post/16936086

To partially answer my own question, I found on Samsung's site that my 560 has 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio while the 650 has a 3,000,000:1 ratio. I'm not sure how noticeable that difference would be to the average viewer, but it has sold me - I'm going to go do the exchange tonight. I just hope that the "FilterBright" anti-glare filter works as well as I want it to.

Personally I wouldn't pay any attention to the advertised contrast ratios. The B650 has been getting very good reviews as of late, so take comfort in the fact that it is a top-tier plasma.

As a B650 owner I can only speak on my behalf. The unit WILL have reflection, it is pretty much unavoidable. The intensity of said reflections will be determined by how many windows you have in the room and the intensity of that light.

I can't speak for the comparison between the B560 and the B650 in terms of reflectiveness unfortunately.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonus /forum/post/16936192

Personally I wouldn't pay any attention to the advertised contrast ratios. The B650 has been getting very good reviews as of late, so take comfort in the fact that it is a top-tier plasma.

As a B650 owner I can only speak on my behalf. The unit WILL have reflection, it is pretty much unavoidable. The intensity of said reflections will be determined by how many windows you have in the room and the intensity of that light.

I can't speak for the comparison between the B560 and the B650 in terms of reflectiveness unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply Aeonus. When comparing the B560 and the B650 side-by-side in the store a few weeks ago, there was a clear difference when it came to glare (or lacktherof), especially when viewing the sets from a slight angle. So I know that the B650 will be better than what I have. And even if it only partially reduces the glare, it's worth $50 to me. If worse comes to worst, I'll just have to close some blinds during afternoon football games.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I find that lighting behind you or at the opposite end of the angle you're sitting at, it's nearly impossible to eliminate glare with a glass screen no matter how good the coating is. If this is the case, even if you close the blinds, the light seeping through each slat may be distracting for some, maybe even more so than if the blinds were completely open.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If money were not a factor, I most likely would have chosen the 240hz LN52B750, or the 120hz LN52B630. But those TV's are $700+ more than the TV I'm looking at. Not to mention the fact that I just really prefer the overall picture of plasma's over most LCD's.

With that said, thanks for the input guys. I'm not expecting a miracle. I've probably overstated my glare situation anyway. It's not terrible. I'm just looking for some improvement and from the research I've done, I think the B650 is my best bet considering my budget and plasma preference.

For those that are interested, I'll report back the differences once I get the new set home.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushlash1978 /forum/post/16936700

If money were not a factor, I most likely would have chosen the 240hz LN52B750, or the 120hz LN52B630. But those TV's are $700+ more than the TV I'm looking at. Not to mention the fact that I just really prefer the overall picture of plasma's over most LCD's.

With that said, thanks for the input guys. I'm not expecting a miracle. I've probably overstated my glare situation anyway. It's not terrible. I'm just looking for some improvement and from the research I've done, I think the B650 is my best bet considering my budget and plasma preference.

For those that are interested, I'll report back the differences once I get the new set home.

SO???? Your last post was 10 days ago!! How's the tv doing?

I'm considering the 650 and would love to hear your impressions!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ended up getting the B850 (Plasma) and MAN O MAN...what a great picture!

The glare is less then my Sony flat screen crt!

Best buy had it on sale for $1599 and we had a 10% off coupon so I ended up getting it for $1439!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just got a 650 setup in my living room yesterday and I officially have a perma-grin.

I was worried about glare since it was going to be placed almost head-on opposite two large windows, but, to my surprise, glare is not significant at all. I can see reflection in dark scenes, but not nearly as much as I was anticipating.

The first image we saw when we finished setup was the Bears vs. Broncos game and I turn to my wife just in time to see a smile on her face and she doesn't even like football. The image was THAT good.

The 650 is replacing nothing less than a Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP, so it was no small task to wow me on the picture quality front.

If I were to have a complaint, it's that the mount for the base was slightly bent and that kept the base from sliding into the TV, which worried me as to what kind of impact could have done that, but once I saw how thin the sheet metal (that was causing the blockage) was, my worries subsided as it showed that no impact was even needed to bent it. So I got a set of small pliers and bent it back into shape and the base slid right in.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvall /forum/post/16995540

SO???? Your last post was 10 days ago!! How's the tv doing?

I'm considering the 650 and would love to hear your impressions!

Me too - what's the verdict???
I already ordered this TV and can't wait for it to come in. It looks like others have had success with little glare.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I purchased a ln52b550 but the 60hz sucks donkey balls. I'm thinking about even exchanging it for the plasma pn50b650 because it has more inputs for it to grow with my components over the next 3 - 4 yrs.

I also considered the ln52b630 but it would cost me $400 more for that option.

Cushlash it appears you were once in the same boat as me but decided to get an even pricier tv. Which of the two tv's would you recommend for me?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.