AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about the PN50C675 3D Plasma at BJs Wholesale Club? Does anyone know what the model is equivalent to? I couldn't find any reviews or detail specs on it on the web. Cinema Smooth? DeJudder?

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poofyhairguy /forum/post/19551639

Probably a PN50C680. I have one and I love it. It does not have Cinema Smooth or MJD controls though...

I'm sure it is the same deal as the C6400 (big box / warehouse) vs. C6500 (most retailers). Samsung's website shows that the same firmware applies to both the C675 and C680 (just like same firmware applies to C6400 through C8000).

This guy set the model number to 8000, on the C680 and got cinema smooth, but 3D would not display:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19485160

Marc

·
Registered
984 Posts
Picked one up as well through this deal. Can't wait to get it and mess around with it and see how it looks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just went back to look again on the PCR site, but they are out of them so the item is no longer valid...for the PN50C675 and the P50GT25. I printed a copy of the item page just in case after I bought it, in case they send me something that doesn't match the advertised specs.

You can goto samsung's site and find the model under the support items, you can download the manual, etc, and all that jazz, it has all the connections, etc, of the C680 plasma, and the same firmware. So, I think its probably the same TV with a special model number for BJ's, or whomever was selling these before they were a end of life cycled.

Some folks have mentioned that they called the retailer, and were told they oversold them...so I imagine some folks will be getting cancellations.

What caught my eye is that this set plays .mkv HD files.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Install

In the process of moving into a new house so I have had this since Monday but haven't had time to do anything with it until last night. I got it mounted to the wall and have my cable box and ps3 hooked up to it just to see what it looks like and mess around with the settings a little bit. I will not be hooking up my receiver and surround until probably next week when I get my AV stand because I will be running things through the wall and want to wait until everything has a permanent home. Below are three pics I took from the install. PS3 not hooked up in these pics.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Settings

Quick run through of DVE HD Basics gave me the following settings.

Mode - Standard

Cell Light - 10

Contrast - 95

Brightness - 45

Sharpness - 0

Color - 43

Haven't taken the time yet to mess around with any more advanced settings.

·
Registered
984 Posts
First impressions

Love this set. This set is replacing an TH50PZ800 which had two boards go bad at the same time and it just wasn't going to be worth it to me to have it repaired.

I have done no critical viewing yet as I just got this tv hooked up last night. Watch some of the NCAA tournament without any calibration what so ever. Set looked good out of the box but was slightly skewed towards red. Picture looks much better after spending just ten minutes tweaking things using DVE HD Basics. I will sit down and spend some more time tweaking once I get my entire system all hooked up and have some free time when the kids are not home.

3D looks awesome to me. I have never been a fan of 3D in the theater and had a chance to see the Panasonic demo truck with their 103" plasma and none of it impressed me. I have only watched about 15 minutes so far flipping between ESPN3D and the Xfinity 3D channel which is all that I have right now but so far I am very impress. I plan to pick up Tangled next week and see how that looks.

If anyone else has gotten one of these I would love to hear other peoples impressions and see what kind of settings you come up with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the C680 and I'm assuming it is the same set just BJ's brand,

but the settings I use look AMAZING once the set is broke in.

Here are the settings I use:

--Picture menu

Mode: Movie

Cell Light: 17

Contrast: 92

Brightness: 52

Sharpness: 0

Color: 49

Tint: G50/R50

Eco Solution submenu:

Energy Saving: Off

Eco Sensor: Off

No Signal Power Off: Off

Auto Adjustment and Screen submenus: [Grayed out]

Advanced settings submenu

Black tone: Off

Dynamic contrast: Off

Gamma: 0

Expert Pattern: Off

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color space: Custom

White Balance [see below]

10p White Balance: On

Flesh tone: 0

Edge enhancement: Off

xvYCC: Off

Color Space submenu

Red: Red 48, Green 0, Blue 0

Green: Red 40, Green 60, Blue 0

Blue: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 55

Yellow: Red 50, Green 50, Blue 0

Cyan: Red 20, Green 53, Blue 50

Magenta: Red 42, Green 0, Blue 50

White Balance submenu

R-Offset: 25

G-Offset: 25

B-Offset: 26

R-Gain: 25

G-Gain: 25

B-Gain: 22

10p White Balance submenu

Interval 1: Red 1, Green 0, Blue -2

Interval 2: Red 3, Green 3, Blue 2

Interval 3: Red 4, Green 3, Blue 2

Interval 4: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 2

Interval 5: Red 3, Green 2, Blue 0

Interval 6: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0

Interval 7: Red -2, Green -2, Blue -2

Interval 8: Red 0, Green 0, Blue -1

Interval 9: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0

Interval 10: Red 3, Green 0, Blue 1

Picture options submenu

Color tone: Warm1 (you can use Warm2 but I prefer Warm1)

Size: Screen Fit

Digital Noise Filter: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]

Film mode: Off

3D submenu

3D Mode: Off

3D Auto View: On

[all other settings grayed out]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I have had it now for a week as well. I run the slides in movie mode at night which has the settings slightly up. When I'm home i have the settings all down for standard mode off the xfinity box. I zoom most channels in to miss the channel ID thingy, because IR has been quick to take on this TV during its first week of life. No big deal, it goes away very fast. Even the comcast tv guide menu retained for a minute or two after surfing the guide for about a minute.

As for the 3D, I did watch the Tahiti IMAX 3D bluray, and it was very good. Not a lot of ghosting with out of the box settings. I tried the 2D to 3D conversion, but that just didn't work well at all, and it gave me a headache pretty quick. I didn't buy the TV for the 3D though, that's for sure. Its an added bonus for me, so to speak. I did download the free 3D shorts that are on playstation network, they looked alright, some of them coded poorly though as there was extreme ghosting in one, but none in another, etc. I don't get the 3D channels from xfinity. I will have to call them to see how much that is. To be honest, if I have to pay, I won't be getting them. ESPN in 3D doesn't sound that great to me. But the Sony/Discovery Channel 3D channel would be great if comcast has it yet?

Anyways, I should be around 100 hours now would be my guess. So I will probably start playing some games on it and stuff after I set it up with one of those DVD's.

The sound is actually pretty good, imo, for a TV. I was surprised with that. The different settings are kind of silly, but movie and one other seem to work best for me with netflix via ps3, which is always a volume disaster for me at least.

There's no way to watch a 16x9 movie without bars, that's one issue I have. zoom still leaves a bar top and bottom.

The antiglare is fine by my standards. It would have been nice had samsung made the bezel smaller, that's for sure. Its piano black surface, and 3" make it a large reflective bezel on this model. But that doesn't affect picture quality, so its not a real valid complaint...more aesthetic than anything.

I tested out the USB port a few different ways. 1) the break in slides via a thumb drive worked flawlessly, hours on end. 2) I played an .MKV HD file via a different thumb drive, and that played without issue. 3) I plugged in a hard drive (laptop drive in an enclosure, no external power) to it and it played .avi files just fine.

So far I am really enjoying the TV. The ir that has been occurring quickly seems to go away just as fast. This doesn't really concern me at this stage due to it being within the first 1,000 hours of use. If its still like this months from now, I will have to adjust the way I game, I guess. The TV plays so many different file formats (.mkv especially for me since xbox and ps3 won't do it), that and the 4 hdmi connections, plus 2 3d glasses, make this tv fantastic for the price.

What stand did yours come with? Even though all the pictures at PC Richards and BJ's shows the TV with the chrome spider stand. Mine came with the glass stand. I prefer the glass stand, so that was an added bonus to me.

edit to add: I haven't done anything over the web with it. I haven't hardwired it to the router or anything. I wouldn't mind getting the wireless usb stick if its cheap, but I don't think this TV does the whole app thing.

Also, how's your TV's buzz? Mine buzzes fairly badly. This is of course another opinion type thing. I can't hear it at all when programming has sound, but when all quiet, yeah, its there. Not enough for me to return it, but just curious what others have gotten.

·
Registered
61 Posts
RYANDUNN1977,

How did you come up with these settings? Did you use a calibration disc? I just got this TV yesterday used for $590. What a great picture. I did notice a very faint horizontal line about 3 inches from the top of the screen I suspect it is a burn-in. What is the fastest and best way to eliminate that?

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGJR /forum/post/20241061

RYANDUNN1977,

How did you come up with these settings? Did you use a calibration disc? I just got this TV yesterday used for $590. What a great picture. I did notice a very faint horizontal line about 3 inches from the top of the screen I suspect it is a burn-in. What is the fastest and best way to eliminate that?

I got the settings from a user in the PN50C680 thread

1 - 14 of 14 Posts