AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I think a comparison between Sammy's PN50C8000 and UN55C6800 would be of merit. I am currently undecided between the two as the specs and price seem so similar. I do not care about 3D capability only better black-levels/contrast ratio, color accuracy, smoothness, and overall picture quality for movies and gaming.

Let the showdown begin....

cheers and warm regards to all!

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Avoid the Samsung LED for gaming, it has very high input lag in all modes. (60ms+ in game mode) The 50c8000 is probably more TV than you need.

The Samsung 58c550 plasma would be a better choice for you in your price range, bigger screen, deep blacks and low input lag.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Avoid the Samsung plasma for 3D since you don't care for that. The UN55C6800 is definitely more TV. It has a bigger screen and like I stated, it won best in picture in the latest PC World reviews.

The Samsung UN55C6800 LED would be a better choice for you. Bigger screen, slimmer panel that tilts, better picture.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne /forum/post/19651501

Avoid the Samsung plasma for 3D since you don't care for that. The UN55C6800 is definitely more TV. It has a bigger screen and like I stated, it won best in picture in the latest PC World reviews.

The Samsung UN55C6800 LED would be a better choice for you. Bigger screen, slimmer panel that tilts, better picture.

Or he could go for the PN58C8000 and have a bigger set than the LCD and one that CNET (a better source for test results) says:

The bottom line: Samsung's PNC8000 series plasma TV produces one of the highest-quality pictures we've tested this year in both 2D and 3D modes, yet costs less than its direct competition.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think if you ever saw both technologies in a home environment, you could make this decision yourself??

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne

And like I said, he wants the TV for gaming, which rules out all Samsung LCD/LED this year. And I agree, the c8000 model is too much TV for what he needs, Samsung's 58c550 is larger than the c6800 and it costs less, input lag is very low in game mode, no need for motion enhancements for high motion resolution, and perfect viewing angles, the 58c550 is the best choice in this situation.

And since when was PC World a good source for HDTV reviews?

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/19653473

And like I said, he wants the TV for gaming, which rules out all Samsung LCD/LED this year. And I agree, the c8000 model is too much TV for what he needs, Samsung's 58c550 is larger than the c6800 and it costs less, input lag is very low in game mode, no need for motion enhancements for high motion resolution, and perfect viewing angles, the 58c550 is the best choice in this situation.

And since when was PC World a good source for HDTV reviews?

I agree that the Samsung PN58C550 is a very good value and likely fits his needs and budget very well along with the extra 3".

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne /forum/post/19654319

Be carefull! The PN58C550 has some bad buzzing reviews from customers on Amazon.com.

And all the edge lit LED LCDs from Samsung have massive complaints about flashlighting, poor viewing angles, and bad input lag in the owners threads here. And funny enough, buzzing complaints are very rare in the c550 owners threads. (AVS is the place most people wind up to complain about defects after all) And there are even reviews on Amazon that complain about everything I mentioned for the 55c6800. (which you chose to ignore)

Let me put it this way, the 58c550 is almost 1k cheaper on average and has very few complaints in the owners thread here on AVS.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne /forum/post/19654319

Be carefull! The PN58C550 has some bad buzzing reviews from customers on Amazon.com.

Quick search on Amazon shows that out of around 100 reviews there were only 12 that gave a rating of 2 stars or below and 81 that gave a rating of 4 stars or better. Quit being such an obvious plasma hater and an LCD fanboy as that doesn't help anyone.

·
Banned
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 /forum/post/19654686

Quick search on Amazon shows that out of around 100 reviews there were only 12 that gave a rating of 2 stars or below and 81 that gave a rating of 4 stars or better. Quit being such an obvious plasma hater and an LCD fanboy as that doesn't help anyone.

There are only 29 reviews for the PN58C550 on Amazon, not "around 100". Six are below a four star. The reviews for the Samsung UN60C6300 had only one negative review below a four star. It was for a defective unit. Just getting the facts straight.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne /forum/post/19655266

There are only 29 reviews for the PN58C550 on Amazon, not "around 100". Six are below a four star. The reviews for the Samsung UN60C6300 had only one negative review below a four star. It was for a defective unit. Just getting the facts straight.

I thought we were talking about the 55c6800, not the 60c6300, might want to get your facts straight before you try and make a point like that.

As for your point.

24 reviews on the 55c6800, four are below 4 stars, about the same ratio. (though there are only 5 reviews below 4 stars for the 58c550, again, check your facts first) 2 of those reviews are for shipping damages (both 1 stars), two were for buzz (3 and 2 star review) and one was for a blown power supply from EE not Amazon (bashing return policy mainly, also a 1 star review). All this proves is that Amazon reviews are not a good way to compare TVs as most of these people would be happy with the picture of a 55inch Element from Walmart.

You have been anti plasma since you signed up for AVS, at least do some research on the tech before you grasp at straws trying to find faults. This guy is looking for a set that is good for gaming, the high input lag of every 2010 Samsung LCD/LED instantly rules them out for him. Instead of blindly bashing plasma, you should have recomended LCDs that actually meet his requirements and price range. (Sony's ex500 series and Sharp's 88 would have been good recomendations for example)

TC

Read though the owners threads here and you will get a better feel for what the common defects really are and just how many "different" people suffer from them. (the vocal minority is common on AVS, pay attention to how many different people are complaining about the problem at hand)

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/19654744

That's why I was (LCD fanboy) before I knew any better (circa 2007).

I still am a LCD fan believe it or not, but there hasn't been very many advances in LCD tech in many years that intrest me. (Where are all the large CCFL IPS LCDs with great viewing angles, solid uniformity, and low input lag?) Until they stop this race for hyper thin 3d TVs and move back to improving on the inherent flaws of LCD, I just can't justify buying one, not when plasma sets (even with all their flaws) don't have any of those issues. (gaming is priority one for me, so low lag and solid motion are a must)

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne /forum/post/19655266

I was looking at the various associate vendors that also sell through Amazon or are they somehow not as relevant as reviews purchased through Amazon, geesh.

Please post things that can actually help reviewers as Pendragon hit the nail on the head describing you.

·
Banned
196 Posts
It's my understanding that this is the Flat Panel General & New FP Tech Forum. If someone comes on to ask an opinion on which HDTV they should purchase, everyone can chime in on their own views and experience with the different technologies out there. If I read an article in a tech magazine that states that a certain technology rates better than another and share it with someone who's posting, that's my prerogative. Don't put me down as a joke!

Isn't it funny that I have NO posts at all in the Plasma Forum? That would be trolling. I have a right to express my views in this neutral forum, don't I?

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne /forum/post/19661808

It's my understanding that this is the Flat Panel General & New FP Tech Forum. If someone comes on to ask an opinion on which HDTV they should purchase, everyone can chime in on their own views and experience with the different technologies out there. If I read an article in a tech magazine that states that a certain technology rates better than another and share it with someone who's posting, that's my prerogative. Don't put me down as a joke!

Isn't it funny that I have NO posts at all in the Plasma Forum? That would be trolling. I have a right to express my views in this neutral forum, don't I?

Can you link us to the review of the Sammy PN50C8000 and UN55C6800 by PC World. I looked and didn't see a recent review on the Sammy plasmas.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne /forum/post/19661808

That may be so, but you still go around bashing Plasma without providing any solid reasons for doing so. However, what I commented on was how you didn't even bother to offer an LCD that would have worked for the TC, you just immediately put down the plasma and lifted up an LED LCD that would not work for him due to high input lag. All you had to do was say was something like this.

"Neither of those sets will work well for you, instead look into the 55ex500 from Sony or Sharp's 60E88, both of those sets have low input lag and will work for both gaming and movie watching"

That is being helpful and very few people would jump you if you made posts like that. And something else to remember, PC world HDTV reviews are viewed as somewhat of a joke on AVS, they rate PCs, not TVs. It would be like going onto a Ferarri forum and proclaiming that Harley Davison Monthly just declared a Toyota Camry to be the best car ever, it isn't their specialty and shouldn't be viewed as a serious source for any argument, take it with a grain of salt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.