AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete plasma noob here and today is the last day to return my tv to Amazon. I was doing a last minute assessment and noticed that for some reason it has a serious issue with IR that my PN59D6500 doesn't have.

When I have a menu up on the 59" for 30-45 secs or so and then change to an all black static image I see the after image of the menu linger for a few secs and then it is gone (I assume this is normal.) For some reason when I do the same thing on my 51" the image remains. No matter what static menu is up on the screen, no matter how short a period of time it is up, it remains when I switch to black to the point where I can read the words etc... On this model tv some of the menus move position every few seconds as to prevent IR however when I let it do this for 10 seconds or so and it moves up and down a few times when I switch to black I see all the different positions it was in.

In all fairness, I haven't noticed this issue during actual TV watching. I just so happen to be checking it out up close while looking it over and noticed the burn in. I do have both tvs on movie mode with high cell and brightness but I already broke it in for well over 100 hours using slides. Is there something about the 51" (other than it is busted) that would cause it to do this while the 59" doesn't? Has anyone heard of IR like this? Is this completely normal and I am just showing my extreme noobness with this? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bough the PN51D6900 on August 15th which is the Canadian model of the 6500.

I've only used about 30 hours but mine has a dead green subpixel so I'm exchaning it in a few days when Furtureshop gets more in stock. For know, I'm running this thing on "torch mode" (100 contrast, 18 cell light, no eco/energy savings, no pixel shift, nevel sweep the screen) to test how resilient these sets are. I think permanent IR (or burn-in I think) is a thing of the past IMO.

I play games with static hud for hours, watch Blu-Rays and HBO with black bars and even pause games for 30- 60 minutes with static images to see if IR can turn into burn-in.

So far it hasnt; however, there's definitely some very very visible IR which can last up to an hour, but every time, even after playing RE5 with a huge static hud for hours, the IR goes away just from just regular full screen viewing.

I'm also a Plasma noob, as this is my first Plasma - I love the pic quality on Plasma much more than my old Sammy LCD, my only problem is even after multiple exchanges I always have one dead/stuck pixel!

Never had that problem with LCD, not sure if it's a plasma thing or if Samsung's manufacturing quality droppd in the past 4 years, or if I'm really just that unlucky - I did have 4 360s RROD, and one disc drive crap out, so maybe.

Here's hoping the 5th time is a charm. Futureshop already thinks I'm some anal retentive OCD loser, I think my girlfriend may be starting to think that too because she can't see it from normal viewing distance...but I can...on any colour that requires green and full white.

Damn Samsung for refusing to fix just one pixel.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygib /forum/post/20865752

Damn Samsung for refusing to fix just one pixel.

Sorry but I'm confused. You said you are doing exchanges to try and get a good one. What has Samsung refused to do? Come over to your house and wave a magic wand to fix it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 51" has a stuck pixel but in all honesty as hard as I try I can't see it from my viewing distance of about 9.5' so I learned to forget that it was there. I don't plan on watching this set from 2 feet away and even if I did, with regular video (not the full color slides) I don't think I would notice it.

I don't have burn in on the set as I did the screen wipe for 10-15 mins or so and the IR went away I am just concerned why it is happening in the first place after having a static menu/text on the screen for only half a minute or so. My 59" certainly doesn't do that. I am just concerned that there is something wrong with the set.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloimplant /forum/post/20865845

Sorry but I'm confused. You said you are doing exchanges to try and get a good one. What has Samsung refused to do? Come over to your house and wave a magic wand to fix it?

Samsung refuses to send a tech to fix a single bad pixel. It's a real hassle having to constantly transport a 51 inch TV, not too mention re-packing and unpacking, all the time.

I just want a TV that works the way it's supposed to.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloimplant /forum/post/20865845

Samsung refuses to send a tech to address a single pixel problem. It's a real hassle having to lug around a 51 inch TV back and forth to Furtureshop all the time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So last night I watched some 4:3 content from a USB stick. It was playing with black bars on the left and right for maybe 3 mins and when the clip was over and it went to a black screen, IR clear as day in the shape of the 4:3 box. It went away after a few mins but I just can't believe that this is considered "normal" for this set. Is it really that bad for you guys as well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.