AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who has seen these back to back is the picture quality with the

increased contrast ratio and the extra filterbrite (sp?) make a significant difference all the other benefits of the 650 are throw-aways for me.


Looking for opinions sitting on the fense too long.


thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Not seen em, but afaik the increased contrast ratio is only the result of the darker filter, the panel is the same.


Of course, published contrast ratio stats are not "measured" in any way, they're entirely invented by the marketing department.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Thanks for the info arfster, I was suspecting the same.


I heard that the 5 series does not have the CMS (color management system) that the 6 series does. I currently have the pn50b650 which I really like but am contemplating going larger to a pn58b560. Not sure if I should do it.


The 650 model is available but for another grand more. That's too big of a price jump for me. I can pick up a 560 version for, coincidentally, for about $560 more. It's hard to find detailed information about the differences. I can't believe how bad the Samsung website is in that respect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. 650 has different anti-glare screen, crystal display engine, cinema smooth feature and wireless connectivity. What I'm not sure of is whether the 650 is worth paying $600 more for - that's the dif in Canada right now. Not sure if the upgrades are going to result in real life improvements. Anyone have any opinions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
From my research it looks like the 560 has everything you mentioned short of the wireless connectivity and divx playback. If that's indeed the extent of the differences then I'm OK with that because a decent Bluray player will have all these features anyhow.


I'm still on the fence about this though... $600 is a decent chunk of change for 8 more diagonal...


I wonder if the CMS can be enabled in the service menu?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno-san /forum/post/17678018


I heard that the 5 series does not have the CMS (color management system) that the 6 series does. I currently have the pn50b650 which I really like but am contemplating going larger to a pn58b560. Not sure if I should do it.


The 560 has CMS according to this:
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Sams...TV-Review.html


At least the European model, I assume the US one is the same.



Edit: worth checking, there are apparently some differences between other euro/us models of the same number
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno-san /forum/post/17678018


The 650 model is available but for another grand more. That's too big of a price jump for me. I can pick up a 560 version for, coincidentally, for about $560 more. It's hard to find detailed information about the differences. I can't believe how bad the Samsung website is in that respect.

from what i notice is 6 Series is just samsung marketing gimmick with the Media 2.0 connectivity/DLNA thing. if you do not require these two features now or in future, save some money and go for PN58B560 .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsallen /forum/post/17693817


from what i notice is 6 Series is just samsung marketing gimmick with the Media 2.0 connectivity/DLNA thing. if you do not require these two features now or in future, save some money and go for PN58B560 .

I like the DLNA feature myself. I have my laptop on the coffee table and am always downloading various movies, TV shows and music videos, you name it. I can then connect to the Samsung and play them on the big screen instantly. No wires, hookups or playing around. The Sammy connected automatically to the laptop the first time I plugged it in. Also, the laptop is still fully functional while the video is playing, unlike other media apps that take over the laptop so that you can't do anything else on it. The same with Media 2.0. You plug in a thumb drive with videos, pictures, whatever on it and the Sammy brings up the "menu" asking what you want to do with it. If you have, for instance, multiple shows on the drive, just pick the one you want to watch and go for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I'm tossing around a similar scenario right now. I can get both of these televisions for the same price... but am unsure of which to go with:


Samsung PN58B540

Samsung PN50B850


8" size difference versus a bucket of features... any recommendations would be appreciated.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top