AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and read through posts here specific to the PN58C6400, but there's not a lot of info (the cracked screen posts are kind of scary, though!). The set is currently on clearance at a local Costco and I expect the price to drop even more in the days ahead. I'm on the seesaw if I should buy when the price tanks or spend the extra $$ for the C6500, which I've read many good things about. I have no interest whatsoever in 3D, so I haven't considered the 7000 series, etc.

I'm waffling because the PQ of the display model looks downright lousy compared to any of the other TV's nearby. I'm guessing this is probably due to it not having been adjusted/calibrated but, man, does it look crappy. I even tried adjusting all the the settings I could get to from the panel buttons and it still looked washed out and dim.

I did see where the contrast ratio is much greater on the 6500 and was wondering if this accounts for the lousy picture on the 6400. Are there any other significant differences between the 2 that I should also consider?

So, I'm hoping to hear from any PN58C6400 owners (past or present), or anyone else that has gone through a similar comparison, and get their opinions and recommendations. I'm hoping to avoid the dissapointment of bringing home a new set only to find that, out of the box, it has an inherently sub-par picture, or will take weeks worth of time in adjustments and testing to "try" to make it look good. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAge /forum/post/19586744

I've searched and read through posts here specific to the PN58C6400, but there's not a lot of info (the cracked screen posts are kind of scary, though!). The set is currently on clearance at a local Costco and I expect the price to drop even more in the days ahead. I'm on the seesaw if I should buy when the price tanks or spend the extra $$ for the C6500, which I've read many good things about. I have no interest whatsoever in 3D, so I haven't considered the 7000 series, etc.

I'm waffling because the PQ of the display model looks downright lousy compared to any of the other TV's nearby. I'm guessing this is probably due to it not having been adjusted/calibrated but, man, does it look crappy. I even tried adjusting all the the settings I could get to from the panel buttons and it still looked washed out and dim.

I did see where the contrast ratio is much greater on the 6500 and was wondering if this accounts for the lousy picture on the 6400. Are there any other significant differences between the 2 that I should also consider?

So, I'm hoping to hear from any PN58C6400 owners (past or present), or anyone else that has gone through a similar comparison, and get their opinions and recommendations. I'm hoping to avoid the dissapointment of bringing home a new set only to find that, out of the box, it has an inherently sub-par picture, or will take weeks worth of time in adjustments and testing to "try" to make it look good. Thanks in advance!

I'm in Toronto and just bought this TV, was looking at everything out there and almost went towards the PX950 but I would have had to spend about $500 more.

Not crazy about the 3D part and people are also buying the PX for 2D PQ but I took the extra $$ and bought new front speakers for the front and for the back.

I bought the PSB Image B5 bookself for the front and the B4 bookself for the back as I have the C5 for a centre speaker and the sub.

I found this TV had a great PQ and what also convinced me was the person that will calibrate it ( Mike Osadciw ) bought the same TV, he loves it and said that it has a great color managment menu to calibrate.

The store set it up and ran it for me with a slide disk for 2 days to make sure everthing was ok and was as quite as a church mouse, it had a faint hum from the corner and I could barly hear it and I had to strain myself to listen for it, with sound up to # 3, nothing.

Not much else I could say other than I really really like the TV but time will tell, maybe I should of spent more but like I said I replace my 4 speakers with what I saved, I also use rotel amps and pre amp with a surround unit, I have my very own little movie house in my rec room, I have no natual light.

I also bought the Samsung BD C6500 Blue ray and had no problem downloading Netflix.

When Mike calibrates it I will post the calibtration results for people, thanks, Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAge /forum/post/19586744

I too am just outside of Toronto and coincidentally just purchased this TV last week. To summarise, I'm pretty ecstatic with it. I'm waiting for my calibration to take place to be perfectly honest with you I'm not certain the tech will be able to improve the picture quality much. I've watched a number of varying quality tv shows and movies and they all look very very good. Satellite HD for hockey and football look pretty spectacular. I've played a few games on my 360 and the lag is non-existent that I can see and I've seen zero image retention.

I won't lie that the 3d would be nice, but I wound up with a great deal on this TV and don't think the extra $700-1000 (mustn't forget taxes are included with that) just isn't worth it at this point for me.

I've compared this to a number of viewing sessions on a buddy's LGPK550 and I personally think that my TV is ever so slightly superior, but then that might just be me.

Unless Costco has a 30day no questions asked return/exchange policy, you might want to look at another store that does. They too will negotiate price wise. Nothing is set in stone.

As for this particular TV looking poor in comparison to the others nearby, I'd probably go to a few other locations with different settings and compare again. Remember the LCD/LEDs will look nice and bright in the store and the PDPs can suffer a bit under the intense lighting in some locations, but if you can view them in a bit of a dimmer section of a store you'll start to see that the LCD/LEDs that appeal to folks also tend to wash out some detail. They too are adjustable of course, but my point is that the display room isn't always the best way to compare. Seems counter-intuitive given that this is something you're supposed to look at, but I long ago dismissed in-store views for TVs and I rely on anecdotal reviews from both consumers and professional reviewers.

Cheers and good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh and my set was barely manipulated by me other than various contrast, brightness, hdmi black level (off) dynamic contrast (off) and the like. I haven't set customer RGB or White Balance for it. I suspect the tech when calibrating the TV will produce an even better picture, but I wouldn't be displeased at all if it stayed looking just as it does right now.

I did watch content on it from the day I got it, but ran break in slides once I was done watching it for the day. That went on for a few days until I broke the 100 hour mark of use. I then raised the contrast a bit and tweaked just a few things under the watchful eye of the highest of powers. She was as pleased with the result as I was.

I was able to get the TV at what I'd consider a great price because I agreed to the calibration. Stores like Bestbuy or the like (not sure if you're north or south of the border so Futureshop might not be an option) won't touch the price of the calibration, but will adjust the price of the set. If you chose to get it calibrated you would avoid the weeks of fiddling, get it for a cheap price and the like. It may or may not be worth it. I'll post back once mine is done and let you know how I fare. Again, with that 30 day return/exchange policy in place you could always bring it back after a bit if you don't like it.

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds promising -- thanks for the fedback guys and good luck with your sets.

Costco actually has a 90-day no questions asked, full refund policy on TV's, as well as including a 2nd year on the manufacturer's warranty. I'd just need to get back to the store in 1-piece if I decide to return it (no easy task for me).

If you can, post your calibration settings. I'm sure it will save folks a bunch of time and trial and error. If I pull the trigger, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAge
Sounds promising -- thanks for the fedback guys and good luck with your sets.

Costco actually has a 90-day no questions asked, full refund policy on TV's, as well as including a 2nd year on the manufacturer's warranty. I'd just need to get back to the store in 1-piece if I decide to return it (no easy task for me).

If you can, post your calibration settings. I'm sure it will save folks a bunch of time and trial and error. If I pull the trigger, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks again!
Not sure with US but here in Canada if you register the set on Samsungs site they extend the warranty for 3 mths, good luck, I really liked the G20/25 but I just wanted the extra 4", made a nice differance,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts