AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All,

This may be the wrong place for this thread, and if so let me know and I will move it or delete it but I am basically looking to find anyone who has encountered this issue and has any recommendations on how to work with it besides replacing the panel. The TV was purchased in July of 2011, so the warranty expired in 2012. Samsung techs do not want to work with me at all on this, and want $700 for the replacement. I've seen threads like this

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-543174/purple-band-on-plasma-screen/

and many others that have suggested a few minor fixes, but none have really worked. It always occurs when a pure white or bright color (light bright yellow) is being displayed (so movies and games you rarely see it). Oddly enough it almost entirely goes away when pressing the Menu button, I'm honestly not sure why. I've played around with various settings, factory resets, etc, but with no success. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on steps I could take to fix or just minimize the problem (stop display bright colors! Obviously!). Samsung had no suggestions for me, and only wanted to charge me $700 and I'm quite disappointed that they were unwilling to work with me even a little over an issue that so many people are experiencing. I understand that it is my own fault for not purchasing an extended warranty so I was ready to pay something, but even they suggested "It is better for customers in your situation to just buy a new T.V.", this was almost offensive in a way. Are we just expecting T.V.s to break within 2 years now?

Thanks much for your time, and I hope there is something I can do to at least get a little more life before dropping another thousand dollars on a television that I only paid off a few months ago. Also, the issue only appeared around November of last year, and perhaps I should have jumped on it sooner to try and get it closer to the expiration of the warranty but I had a number of other factors distracting me which put it low on my priority list. Once again, something that is my fault, so I am hoping there is an option I have overlooked!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telsiph  /t/1467846/pn58c7000yfxza-plasma-58-inch-purple-lines-when-displaying-light-colors#post_23192482

Are we just expecting T.V.s to break within 2 years now?

Yes, it's a safe assumption. Everything is throw away, much to the displeasure of many old enough to remember how long refrigerators and televisions used to live. Keep this in mind when you buy anything, especially if you have to finance the purchase, and then buy an extended warranty. At least now-a-days you can shop for that.

I hope that someone comes along to suggest some possible fixes, or at least tells you if that's all there is.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
My pn58c8000 has the purple bands, too. Sorry, I can't help you. I've just ordered a Panasonic 60st60 to replace my Samsung.

·
Registered
20,914 Posts
have you tried posting in the C7000\C8000 owner thread? it may get more views there and especially by owners who may be familliar with this issue....

As far as reliability goes, well technically it should last many many years, but as with anything thats made by humans especially with how complex everything is now, it just doesnt work that way sometimes......I think the suggestion regarding a new TV was becasue the cost to fix the set may be outweighed by getting something new for "a little more" in the long run....Think of it like this...If you spend $700 and get it fixed and then something else goes wrong youd already have about 1/2 the money for a new TV (take the new 60ST60 at ~1499 for instance) in a TV that is no longer working and needs further money to repair it...I wouldnt take it as an insult, sometimes people just look at things differently....

Again try posting this in the C7000\C8000 owners thread youll probably get more eyes and an answer there
good luck on your search...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just fixed my PN63C7000 plasma with purple band problem today by opening the back panel and playing with the Va and Vs adjustment pots. I hope the op resolved this issue but i am bringing this thread back to life in case someone Google's it in the future.

Be careful when working inside your tv since you can be electrocuted. The Vs and Va adjustment pots are adjustable by a small Phillips screwdriver. They are located kinda in the middle board on the back of the tv. They are clearly labelled Vs and Va.

I didn't have any measurement equipment so I just made small 1/8 rotation with each adjustment. I first marked where the current settings are with a marker. I then used a screwdriver to turn 1/8 clockwise the Va pot from my marker and checked a white scene on the tv. Then I went 1/8 counter clock wise and checked if its better or worse. Same for Vs. The setting that completely removed the purple band was 1/8 clockwise on Va and 1/8 clockwise on Vs.

May worth a try if you're up for it. Be careful not to touch anything on the boards even though its powered off and unplugged, they are still charge stored in the capacitors.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Dealing with the same problem ( redish bands across the top on white screens) mainly during commercials 

have the C7000 2010 model

will try this this weekend.  are there any pics out there showing location of the Va and Vs pots

saw allot of posts on Vs adjust , is the Va Necessary?

scared to make things worse. but brave enough to try.

Thanks Arnie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Are you still trying to fix your purple lines? I just cracked my 63" tv open in attempts to perform the VA and VS adjustments. Here are a couple of pics that show the location of the VA and VS trim pots.
IMG_20831.JPG 2838k .JPG file
IMG_20841.JPG 1912k .JPG file

Hope this helps.

-Greg

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.