AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and couldn't bring myself to reading thru the owners thread as it has 5500+ entries! Hoping someone can throw down a quick yes or no. BTW, Cox is my service provider. Not sure if that matters or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. I figured 1080p would he a pipe dream. Such a huge amount of data to stream. Looks like I'll continue to do BD's in the mail from Netflix, or go to a Redbox.

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
There is nothing out there streaming in 1080p. It would eat up too much bandwidth. Even running Netflix in the best solution, it can eat up 1 to 2.3 gb per hour for HD, depending on the movie that you are watching, and you have no one running torrents, or downloads on your LAN.

I run netflix from a roku & from a Sony blu-ray, and overall, both have the same quality for netflix, since again it is a 720p stream, and even though both are set for 1080p, it will never achieve that through this service. There are some out there that claim 1080p ondemand, but you have to have the pipe to allow, and again depends on the movie, since none are out there filmed in 1080p to begin with.

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
Actually I am going to retract that. It appears that the PS3 has 1080p streaming capability for Netflix, and some movies and shows are streamed in 1080p. I have not gone out and just searched for the hd movies to really say which ones are better than others. I can notice a difference in some of the older stuff, and you can tell regarding Hd on some of the later movies out there in the Watch Instantly.

I just pulled up Pitch Black on my Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S370, and it is in HD. There is a lot of noticable artifacts at the beginning, when they show the crew in the red light. Other than that, you can tell a big difference in the quality.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiHD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.