AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen countless number of posts on the web about people having the same issue as I am with my Samsung pn58c8000 plasma. The pink banding that encompasses 1/3 of the right side of the screen and a band 6" down across the top. Samsung replaced my panel when the TV was just over a year old as an out of warranty repair where they paid parts and I paid labor. Now less than a year later it happened on the new panel. Samsung first said they would cover parts again and sent a factory authorized rep at my expense to troubleshoot even though we all knew it was the panel again. After the tech reported back that the panel was bad Samsung rescinded their offer to cover it again stating there also was burn in in addition to the pink banding which is a total crock and a cop out and therefore that voided them saying they would cover it. So now I am stuck with a TV as many of you are that cost me over two grand and is painful to watch. Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this without replacing the display? The voltage adjustment that Samsung was pushing earlier didn't work. They actually gave me a website, samsungoowpanelrebate.com that offers a discount on a replacement panel or 10% off a new TV BUT only to those that have a defective panel as determined by one of their authorized reps. Go figure. Sounds like they know there is a problem but won't fix it. I'd like to see a class action suit brought up for this issue to compensate us consumers that Samsung screwed. I'd like to get the $500 I've already invested in repairs reimbursed at a minimum. A refund for the TV would be a bonus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
Are you looking to fix your TV yourself?


This issue is extremely common and can be fixed by adjusting the Vs point on the TV with an insulated screwdriver.


No panel replacement is necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
I had the same problem and set my VS trimpot to default voltage of 205. Enter the back of your panel with extreme caution. Turn the Vs trimpot clockwise until the red banding disappears completely. I would pause it on a scene where it is most prominent then make the adjustment. It could be that your Vs voltage is off spec from what is written on the inside of the panel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctarc  /t/1477910/pn58c8000-pink-banding#post_23442666


I've seen countless number of posts on the web about people having the same issue as I am with my Samsung pn58c8000 plasma. The pink banding that encompasses 1/3 of the right side of the screen and a band 6" down across the top. Samsung replaced my panel when the TV was just over a year old as an out of warranty repair where they paid parts and I paid labor. Now less than a year later it happened on the new panel. Samsung first said they would cover parts again and sent a factory authorized rep at my expense to troubleshoot even though we all knew it was the panel again. After the tech reported back that the panel was bad Samsung rescinded their offer to cover it again stating there also was burn in in addition to the pink banding which is a total crock and a cop out and therefore that voided them saying they would cover it. So now I am stuck with a TV as many of you are that cost me over two grand and is painful to watch. Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this without replacing the display? The voltage adjustment that Samsung was pushing earlier didn't work. They actually gave me a website, samsungoowpanelrebate.com that offers a discount on a replacement panel or 10% off a new TV BUT only to those that have a defective panel as determined by one of their authorized reps. Go figure. Sounds like they know there is a problem but won't fix it. I'd like to see a class action suit brought up for this issue to compensate us consumers that Samsung screwed. I'd like to get the $500 I've already invested in repairs reimbursed at a minimum. A refund for the TV would be a bonus.


I'm in a battle now with samsuck over this same thing, i started out with a 63 inch C7000 with the pink banding lasted a year, Now have a 64 E7000 doing the same thing but before hand need 2 different boards replaced, this tv is still in warrentie, but samsuck said that it is burn in (and it is not) and that it is my fault, So my warrentie is void,, funny thing is they based this on a few crappy cell phone pictures. because the tech claimed they were not paying them so they did not want to come to my house for a 3rd time, but had already said the panel was bad. more to story but that gist of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,540 Posts
I had a PN58C8000 with pink banding, up to two months ago. After reading about the frustrations people had had trying to get Samsung to fix this, I decided life's too short, and I junked it and replaced it with a Panasonic 60ST60. Better picture (even before the pink banding), slightly larger, and much cheaper than the new price of the Samsung. So I am poorer, but happier, and no more Samsung for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee  /t/1477910/pn58c8000-pink-banding#post_23447806


I had a PN58C8000 with pink banding, up to two months ago. After reading about the frustrations people had had trying to get Samsung to fix this, I decided life's too short, and I junked it and replaced it with a Panasonic 60ST60. Better picture (even before the pink banding), slightly larger, and much cheaper than the new price of the Samsung. So I am poorer, but happier, and no more Samsung for me.

I hope you didn't just junk the TV and sold it on to someone willing to live with the problem or willing to repair it.

Because it is stupidly easy to repair, it takes less than 10 minutes, you spend more time taking it off the wall and unscrewing the back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Factory authorized tech that came and assessed TV the second time said the voltage adjustment works for a few months and then the pink banding just comes back that's why Samsung doesn't recommend it anymore. I still think there should be a class action lawsuit for this. they already lost one class action suit recently for a bad power supply on similar models. Anyone know how to start one? I'm far from rich and saved many years to get this TV so i'm not scrapping it and will probably eventually try the voltage adjustment when it gets really bad and I know for sure Samsung isn't going to do anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Samsung told me it too was burn in and was my fault that's why they rescinded the offer to cover a new panel again. Tech did the same thing by taking some crappy cell phone pics and sending them in. there is no report that goes along with them only the pictures. Samsung doesn't want a written or verbal report from the techs. Sounds like Samsung has the whole procedure scripted out for everyone from the techs to their executive customer service whom I spent hours on the phone with trying to explain how it was unfair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be curious to here from people who had or did the voltage adjustment and how long ago or if the pink banding came back. Also if it created any other issues with the TV e.g picture quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
So I own a pn58c8000 and am experiencing the pink banding myself. I wanted to brush it off and make myself think it was certain broadcasts. (knowing what I spent on the tv, it couldn't be something wrong after only just over 2 yrs) So I'm out of warranty and needless to say, pissed.. I'm thinking of trying the vs adjustment myself. Can anyone give me more specific instruction? Where will i be aiming once the back panel is off? Voltage should be what? Or turn adjuster clockwise until pink bands disappear? Thanks so much my fellow dissatisfied Samsung customers..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
There's a rating on the back of the plasma panel with Vs written on it. Verify the current Vs using a meter on the test point and adjust Vs up until the pink banding goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Thanks tom, I'm going to continue to plea my case to Samsung until it no longer gets me anywhere (which may be sooner than later). Then I'll attempt to pull the back panel off. I'm sure it'll all make more sense once I'm actually looking at it. What a disappointment for the $ spent. I was expecting at LEAST 5 yrs without any problems. Shoulda went with its competitor at the time.. Panasonic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
I find Samsung's TVs to be among the least reliable of any major manufacturer, and this is one reason I can never recommend anyone buy one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
You can update the firmware normally -- simply use the normal firmware update mechanism, which also updates the control board firmware. After doing this, adjusting the Vs up by around 5 to 10V should fix the problem permanently. Maybe the firmware allows you to use a lower Vs, which improves energy efficiency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
The service guy I talked to said the only way to update the logic board firmware was with that updated firmware on their service bulletin using a factory remote.


The normal firmware update only updates the main board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungpinkband  /t/1477910/pn58c8000-pink-banding#post_23684335


The service guy I talked to said the only way to update the logic board firmware was with that updated firmware on their service bulletin using a factory remote.


The normal firmware update only updates the main board.

I'm not so sure about that. On the Dxxx series plasmas, it definitely updates the control board firmware when done using main board USB, because Samsung released a software update to fix a problem with them killing the X-main board all the time, the only way to sort this would be a control board firmware update. But I'm not sure if the same applies for C-series plasmas, a year older and in many ways similar to B-series (apart from the higher end models like this.)


Like most users have discovered, simply increasing Vs sorts the problem out in almost every case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
1 - 20 of 287 Posts
Top