AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
pretty much as expected. once Panasonic called it quits, there was very little reason for anybody else to put a dime into R&D.

LG's been behind the competition for years, and seems content to offer value instead of performance(not a bad market strategy). Samsung's two or three generations ahead of LG at this point, and it'd be for nothing but ego to improve on the f8500. not a good market strategy.

it is very unfortunate, but unlike when CRT's died off, I'm in a good position now. I got my f8500 last year, and in the largest size I could, so there's nothing that's going to lure me into thinking I 'need' a replacement until it breaks or OLED settles into the mainstream.

it is tempting to grab another, smaller one for spare room usage in the future, but I'm personally transitioning away from flat panels and towards projectors anyway. I'm guessing my next purchase will be to replace the f8500 with an LED/Laser projector, then I can move the f8500 into a room where I might actually use it for watching movies. with my current projector, it's just an auxiliary display right now

·
Registered
396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1525207/pnf8500-might-just-be-the-last-high-end-samsung-plasma#post_24552973

pretty much as expected. once Panasonic called it quits, there was very little reason for anybody else to put a dime into R&D.

LG's been behind the competition for years, and seems content to offer value instead of performance(not a bad market strategy). Samsung's two or three generations ahead of LG at this point, and it'd be for nothing but ego to improve on the f8500. not a good market strategy.

it is very unfortunate, but unlike when CRT's died off, I'm in a good position now. I got my f8500 last year, and in the largest size I could, so there's nothing that's going to lure me into thinking I 'need' a replacement until it breaks or OLED settles into the mainstream.

it is tempting to grab another, smaller one for spare room usage in the future, but I'm personally transitioning away from flat panels and towards projectors anyway. I'm guessing my next purchase will be to replace the f8500 with an LED/Laser projector, then I can move the f8500 into a room where I might actually use it for watching movies. with my current projector, it's just an auxiliary display right now
I was thinking along those lines. I just got my samsung pn51f5300 a month ago and im hoping it will suffice until oled is cheaper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts