AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in reading the net remote thread, I thought of an Idea, and and curious if anyone has tried to impliment it. With a PocketPC connected to a home network wirelessly, and with an HTPC hardwired to the same network, I would think it possible to turn on the HTPC by using a Wake-on-lan command (Magic Packet or something). Assuming this is true (which it may not be), I would think that it would be possible to save that command as a button on a NetRemoteLike application to always allow you to turn on the HTPC remotely. similarily another button to send it to Hibernation.

Thoughts?

-Nate

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The hibernation is alreay done in Girder, so you can let the Internet Event Server receive the command and set the computer in hibernation. And yes, it should not be a problem to wake an HTPC providing there's a magic packet type thing for PPC. It's even easier if you've got another computer on your network that's on all the time (like my server). You send the command to Girder on that, and let Gider fire a magic packet towards the HTPC. :cool:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a pocetPC (yet), but it seems that the program listed HERE can do the job. This rocks as a remote turn on unit possibility. Brings my slothyness to new heights :p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nate - If you are using, or intending to use, NetRemote, Wake On Lan is already supported. The button just needs to be configured to be using the WakeOnLan driver, and set the button label to the MAC address you want started.

NetRemote will send the Magic Packet directly. Then you just need Girder to instruct the HTPC to hibernate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.