AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, I'm considering buying a Popcorn hour, and a NAS or NMT to store my 600 something SD dvd's.

Would I need a popcorn hour for every TV I want to view a DVD from my library on? Or is there a cheaper alternative media streamer that I can buy two or three of?

I really do like the PH's features and ability to play a wide variety of formats, but don't relish the thought of having to buy 3 of 'em...

·
Registered
129 Posts
So you've got $10k worth of DVD's, but you're balking at $600 to be able to stream them to any TV in the house?

Short answer: no, there aren't any cheaper options.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If this is just for DVDs (not HD content)...you'd be way better off buying used Xbox's for cheap and running Xbox Media Center on them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Telexen, for that suggestion...Glad to have a constructive, non-sarcastic suggestion to my question

I was considering that, I'll check out Amazon and Ebay...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently using an XBOX 360 as a media extender for my Media Center PC (MCE) for recorded TV and ripped DVD's. For the recorded TV it's just like having the computer connected to the TV, but the DVD rips is a different story. The DVD's need to be ripped and then converted to a format the XBOX can play, .MPG or .DVR-MS, etc. I rip the DVD's with DVD Shrink, so the I can create one .VOB in the process, then use VideoRedo to convert it to .DVR-MS (this format provides better ff, rw, and skip functioning than .MPG). But you cannot play the .VOB files or .ISO images of the disks.

So, you might be able to find 360's cheaper, but you will be limited in funtionality. And if you are going to sit down and rip 600+ DVD's, the additional time to re-encode them will be outragious.

I saw an ad for the Western Digital HD Media Player and started thinking it would be a better solution for the DVD's, but not being networked sucks. After doing some sufing, I found the Dvico M-6500 which plays tons of formats, is networked and can have internal storage, but it starts at $399. The Popcorn Hour A-110 appears to do what the Dvico does for only $250. So, now I am think that a Popcorn with every TV sounds like a great idea.

But, I am still researching, which is why I am here to begin with. I am thinking of getting into Blu-ray, and the Popcorn can play those as well.

Good Luck

·
Registered
818 Posts
There are a number of NMT's that vary in price and desgin that utilize the same basic hardware platform. I purchased an IstarHD for $188 and so far am happy with it. You can use it without a disk or install a SATA hard drive. Check out networkedmediatank.com for info on popcorn hour and many of the other NMT designs.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy2 /forum/post/15577025

okay, I'm considering buying a Popcorn hour, and a NAS or NMT to store my 600 something SD dvd's.

Would I need a popcorn hour for every TV I want to view a DVD from my library on? Or is there a cheaper alternative media streamer that I can buy two or three of?

I really do like the PH's features and ability to play a wide variety of formats, but don't relish the thought of having to buy 3 of 'em...

I bought a Klegg Mediashare for $30. I'm kicking myself for not buying all they had at the time.

I have two of the Kleggs and a WD TV. I can stream the Kleggs but not the WD. Right now, I have USB drives will all of my media and just plug them into the media player or computer I want to use. This means I don't have to load everything onto the computer hard drive.

DVD ISOs are big but you could put them all on a 500 gig drive. I'm not sure you could stream more than one movie at a time on the network so a couple of USB drives could be just the thing if you don't want to pay for networking devices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts