AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to attract too much attention to this thread but I am really interested in buying a Pioneer Elite VSX-84. I usually deal with ******* but they told me no go on Elite products over the internet. I realize that Pioneer says they won't honor repairs/firmware upgrades unless it was purchased from an authorized dealer but the prices of these units on the net are very tempting. Did anyone here buy from such a place and care to share your experience with me? I may have to break out my Tweeter card and see how much I can get off MSRP from them.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmbklr /forum/post/0

I bought a Elite 82tsx at HPdirectAv.com. I wasn't aware of the lack of support form Pioneer though. I hope I can find a way to get my firmware upgraded because of it.

I wouldn't count on it, unless you get the vendor to do it.

Pioneer is very clear on their website that they only support their product of bought from an authorized dealer, and I don't think they authorize anyone to do it on the Net. Denon has very similar policies, but they do have some authorized on-line dealers, but the discounts tend to not be as great.

EDIT: I just took a look at the HPdirectAv.com website. By looking at it, I can pretty much guarantee you are not getting them to do a firmware upgrade. That is one of the least professional looking sites I have seen in a long time, and you definatly got a grey, if not black market product. I really hope you got a great price on it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I just talked to a guy who is going to bring his unit in to us next week for the upgrade.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"I just talked to a guy who is going to bring his unit in to us next week for the upgrade."

And where is that..or is it your forum name?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
No, I don't work there any longer , and they won't do the upgrade unless you bought from an authorized retailer either.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey tweeterex, since I see you are, or work for, a dealer I was wondering if I could ask you a question? I am looking to upgrade from a "getting long in the tooth" Lexicon DC-1 with ver 4 software. I am looking at the Elite 84 because I want support for LPCM from BD and HDDVD disks and the top end Lex and Anthem are out of my price range. I alo want THX post processing. I would use the 84 as a pre-pro with my existing amps which are a mix of Carver, Adcom and NAD. How do you think the 84 will compare to the DC-1 in terms of processing and over all sound quality using the pre-outs? I know the Pioneer shouldn't hold a candle to the newest high priced pre/pros but as compared to my DC-1 will it sound as good or better due to advancements in audio DAC's and DSP processing?

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev /forum/post/0

I wouldn't count on it, unless you get the vendor to do it.

Pioneer is very clear on their website that they only support their product of bought from an authorized dealer, and I don't think they authorize anyone to do it on the Net. Denon has very similar policies, but they do have some authorized on-line dealers, but the discounts tend to not be as great.

EDIT: I just took a look at the HPdirectAv.com website. By looking at it, I can pretty much guarantee you are not getting them to do a firmware upgrade. That is one of the least professional looking sites I have seen in a long time, and you definatly got a grey, if not black market product. I really hope you got a great price on it.

I am always scepticle of buying online, but they were linked by cnet as a good place to buy. I was very didappointed in some of the customer service I received. The man I spoke with was very brief and unprofessional. But I got the product in a timely fashion and it is definately factory sealed and not a refurbished unit. But I guess I didn't think this one through as far as what to do in a situation like firmware upgrades. I have a extended warranty that allows me to take it to any authorized Pioneer service center. So I am hoping I can get them to do firmware for me.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

Quote:
How do you think the 84 will compare to the DC-1 in terms of processing and over all sound quality using the pre-outs?

Imo, I suspect that I'd notice the downgrade in music performance due to what I suspect would be an inferior pre-out section of the Pioneer, this opinion is based on similar A/B comparisons with Pioneer's and many other receivers being used as pre-pros when compared directly to some of the better dedicated pre-pros. but do the A/B yourself as I haven't done a comparison to a DC-1 in quite a while.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gary, thats who I emailed and asked about being able to buy this unit. I heard that if you call them you can buy one over the phone just not thru the website. I have been a 1Call card holder for ages. Anyway the person who emailed me back said no....local retail sale only. I wonder if they thought I may just be fishing for trouble or what? BTW I named them in my original post and someone edited it out with *******? Against the rules?

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher /forum/post/0

Gary, thats who I emailed and asked about being able to buy this unit. I heard that if you call them you can buy one over the phone just not thru the website. I have been a 1Call card holder for ages. Anyway the person who emailed me back said no....local retail sale only. I wonder if they thought I may just be fishing for trouble or what? BTW I named them in my original post and someone edited it out with *******? Against the rules?

It has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with Pioneer. If Pioneer finds out they sold over the internet the could pull the entire Elite Line from the retailer.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

1call
give them a call

HP is part of a shady group who are based in NY or NJ, they have many sites setup, like Hype Audio and Dealznet, avoid them like the plague

-Gary

Thanks I'll remember that for next time. But for now I am happy with the fact I got my unit and it is as I hoped.

Anyway, I talked to the Pioneer authorized repair center that just happens to be hidden behind some trees 2 blocks from my house (lol). He said he has the new firmware (as of 1/12) and I am going there after work on Friday. he sad he;ll flash it while I wait. I'll let you all know how it works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.