AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone could give me an all-in-one website for my HD replacing needs I'd really appreciate it. Or if someone has a list of places that'd be great also.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
 http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net

If your original drive is completely hosed, look for posts on here by "Mikeyboy" and click on one of the "Need an image?" links in his sig file to download the right patch file for your model.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was just looking for a site with caveats about what to do and not do when you have the case open and are replacing a hard drive. replayfaq seems to be offline and replayinnards that showed pics is gone as well.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
There's alot of rebates going on with harddrives right now. And I've read alot of posts in the forums the last 3 weeks. Seems Maxtors are favored by most. I veteran can correct me if I'm wrong. Maxtors say they run quiet. and they have a 3 year warrenty so if you save your reciept and Schedule alot of stuff it might just blow out in time to get a replacement. ha.

Recently I got a 120 gig maxtor for $78 tax included by pricematching a Frys Ad on staples and using a $20 off code and assuming I get the $30 rebate back.

Look at www.************** go to forums/deals

I did my first haddrive upgrade a week ago. It wasn't hard at all. Make sure you Low Level Format it after you check for errors with the diagnostic software. The process isn't hard at all. I'm not going to explain it all cause eomeone else probably just did and I feel some laziness setting in.

Oh.. and if you dont unplug the unit for a few min before you open it, you can kill yourself I hear if you touch the power thingy.

Thats something to know.

I dont see a point in buying a drive smaller then 120 gigs with all these sales going on.

yack yack good luck

icecow

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
Maxtors say they run quiet. and they have a 3 year warrenty so if you save your reciept and Schedule alot of stuff it might just blow out in time to get a replacement.
Last October, Maxtor reduced the warranty on most of their drives from 3-years to 1-year. http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/ser...t-a-glance.htm

Just something to consider. I did have a Maxtor drive go out a couple of weeks ago, but they quickly shipped me a replacement. Having said that, I still plan on going to MicroCenter today and picking up a Retail Box Maxtor 200GB/8MB/7200 to put in my 5060.

- Erik

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
The Samsung 5400rpm SV1204H drive comes with a 3-year warranty. I am using one in a Showstopper and it is working well. Seems a little quieter and cooler and the performance the same as the stock drive.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.