AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was wondering something. TV screens are getting bigger and bigger. Since HD is fixed at 1080p resolution, do you think there's a point at which the pixels start getting too far apart to remain as clear as we'd like? And if so, are we getting close to that at all?

Also, as sort of a related question, I just got a Samsung 46" and tried it out with some SD DVDs tonight. Everything looked great, and overall I'm very happy, but this big beautiful screen is now revealing all sorts of what I think are DVD compression artifacts. Every time text is displayed there's pixelation surrounding the letters, stuff like that. To my perfectionist eye (and now-empty wallet) it's pretty distracting. Is that just what we live with when watching less-than-perfect video? And as I'm thinking of trading up to a 52" screen, would those video imperfections become even more apparent?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Your answer is Blu-Ray and HD Channel Lineup - all it takes is money.

Your panel is also not HT Size truly and your logic is stuck on old 480i CRT 4:3 Tube TV's. These panels are 500-600% improvement when FED the content but if you continue to feed it garbage you'll see GARBAGE TURDVISION.

Larger sizes is not new at all as the RPTV market primarily sells 60" and larger panels for over a decade. Two million pixels just get larger but they don't get spread out like you suggest on a fixed pixel 1080P display - your mindset again is referencing 480i TV's.

View the Viewing Distance Calculator in my signature block and THX makes viewing very close but if you feed legacy Turdvision you'll continue to see it as what it is. I view a 57" Sharp at 8.5' and with HD content I cannot see what you suggest at all and at 1:1 Dot Mode I must get within inches before I can see pixels and sometimes none can be see without placing your eyeball right up to the screen. I pay the piper by feeding my panels HD and I understand how many lines of inferiority are on SD and tolerate it. Some upconvert players can do a very good job with those SD Disks but it isn't magic yet. Invest in HD channel lineups and devices that are DESIGNED for that Panel and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Diminishing losses if you live in a legacy world of Turdvision 480i that has been passed by for over two years now with HD and BD Players and HD Channel lineups. Buy a PS3 or BD player or an HD DVD Player on sale and HD Channel lineup or a new OPPO upconvert player and the rewards will be there as a 46" is no longer large at all - Sharp has had a 65" for nearly 3 years that is finally becoming affordable and I could view that 65" at my viewing distance and Sony/Samsung follows up soon with a 55" and 70" LCD.

FEED ME HD! That's what the panel is screaming or better said your EYES should be doing so.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. I guess when you feed it HD content then it looks great. What I meant about the pixels getting farther apart was that you have 1,080 pixels running vertically from the top of the set to the bottom, right? Regardless of screen size. So if you -- and we're just talking theory, now -- got a 200" screen at 1080p, I'd think it would look funny because those 1,080 pixels are so spread out. So the question I posed was asking if we're anywhere close to getting to that point where your eye sees the space between pixels. And it sounds like what you're saying is "totally not"!

Oh, and I was actually thinking of computer monitors, which get bigger and bigger over time, but then manufacturers introduce a higher resolution when they hit a certain size threshold so things still look sharp. At least, that's my understanding, which could be wrong.

Thanks!

P.S. My wife actually bought me a PS3 for my birthday; that's what spawned the purchase of the Samsung!
We haven't tried a Blu-ray disc yet, though.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gonif /forum/post/14310974

What I meant about the pixels getting farther apart was that you have 1,080 pixels running vertically from the top of the set to the bottom, right? Regardless of screen size. So if you -- and we're just talking theory, now -- got a 200" screen at 1080p, I'd think it would look funny because those 1,080 pixels are so spread out.

The pixels get BIGGER, not more spread out. So no matter how big your screen is (even if you buy this one ), it will not look strange so long as you sit at the proper distance.

To find the optimal distance, consult the resolution chart .

And please, start watching HD.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/14311443

The pixels get BIGGER, not more spread out. So no matter how big your screen is (even if you buy this one ), it will not look strange so long as you sit at the proper distance.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Thanks for setting me straight!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts