AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a site which calculates the azimuth/elevation/tilt for an elliptical Dish?

I am replacing a round dish and will use it's existing mount for the elliptical and I want to determine the exactly how my present settings should be changed for the new dish.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hopefully you won't have this problem, but be aware the the diameter for the mounting mast is different from brand to brand of dishes. Older Sony dishes had a smaller diameter mast then other brands, so if you're replacing a Sony with another brand, be prepared to replace the mast.

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13:
Hopefully you won't have this problem, but be aware the the diameter for the mounting mast is different from brand to brand of dishes. Older Sony dishes had a smaller diameter mast then other brands, so if you're replacing a Sony with another brand, be prepared to replace the mast.

I recently had this same exact scenario - I had an older Sony dish on pole, and got an eliptical RCA dish. Instead of replacing the pole, I wrapped duct tape around the pole (exactly one layer of tape) and it fit on there perfectly. The new dish is very secure on there after I tightened the bolts.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
And check very carefully with a level that the pole is TRULY plumb. Trying to aim an oval dish on a mast that is even a little bit tilted is virtually impossible.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Kevin,

Thanks for the link to the RCA site. I'm just curious why the numbers from there are so different from the numbers from my DirecTV receiver?

From RCA:

Azimuth - 152.5

Elevation - 49.8

Tilt - 101.3

From DirecTV receiver

Azimuth - 138

Elevation - 46

Tilt - 100

Since the numbers from my receiver are not working for me, I'll assume the RCA numbers are correct. Strange they would be so different, though.

-BB

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by baldbull:
I'm just curious why the numbers from there are so different from the numbers from my DirecTV receiver?
I don't know for sure why they are different. The difference in Azimuth is often due to a lack of compensation for magnetic north in some receivers. The other differences may be due to integer math vs. floating point or look-up tables vs. formulas.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin T:
You can find magnetic north compensation here

Does that help explain the difference?
Well that adds up mathematically. According to that chart, I should add 14 degrees. That is the difference between the two azimuth values stated above. I'll try these new values and see if I can see both satellites. So far it's been one or the other for me.

-BB

·
Registered
581 Posts
Has anyone succefully picked up 119 with one round dish.

or are you requier to have both LNB's for the signal to work?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:

Has anyone succefully picked up 119 with one round dish.

or are you requier to have both LNB's for the signal to work?
You can point a single dish at 119 and things will work fine if you never tune to a channel which is on the 101 bird. If you want both 101 and 119 based channels, you will need an eliptical dish, or two dishes and a 22Khz switch.

[This message has been edited by PJH (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
Kevin,

I just wanted to say thanks again. With the values from your link, I was able to get strong signals for both satellites. I can't believe the DirecTV site is so inaccurate.

-BB

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:
baldbull wrote:

I'm just curious why the numbers from there are so different from the numbers from my DirecTV receiver?
I noticed that my Sony DirecTiVo was giving me very different elliptical dish alignment numbers compared to my Mitsubishi SR-HD5 HDTV DirecTV receiver. Someone suggested that the difference in my numbers was due to the fact that the DirecTiVo was pointing my elliptical dish directly at the 101 satellite (why, I don't know) whereas my Mistubishi receiver was pointing halfway between the 101 and 119 satellites.

I compared the DirecTiVo positioning numbers for a round dish pointing at the 101 satellite and the azimuth and elevation matched the DirecTiVo positioning numbers for the elliptical dish. The tilt numbers were the same for both my Mitsubishi and DirecTiVo.

FWIW.

------------------
-McD-

[This message has been edited by Dreimiller (edited 10-10-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.