AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a DishPVR 508 system to get some of Dish's international programming for my inlaws. I plan to subscribe ONLY to the international channels (E* customer service said this was doable).

My DishPVR 508 included a DishPro 500 dish, for receiving from the 110W and 119W birds.

Can I use this dish to point at the 148W satellite? It's slightly elliptical, and I'm not sure exactly what direction I should point it, given it was designed to point at two satellites. E*'s "zipcode32" program won't calculate the direction for a Dish500 dish pointing at 62.5 or 148.

Am I better off getting a normal single-satellite 18" DishPro 300 dish?

... side question: I've got a spare DirecTV 18" single LNB dish. Could I use that one for E* at 148W? Other posts here seem to indicate this would be possible, the DirecTV dish would be like a "legacy" dish to the DishPVR 508 receiver.

Thanks!

/Mitch.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yep you can use a Dish500, just point one LNB to 148 and the other to nothing. You can also use your old DirecTV dish.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
One added comment is that you should not click the Dish 500 option on the pointing menu as it then thinks you are pointing at 110/119. Let it think you have a standard dish. No reason not to use your 18 inch Dish for this application. Just click the 148 satellite and enter your zip code and it will give you the azimuth and elevation. From my experience, be prepared to tweek up to about 15 degrees typically to the west of the heading that it gives you.

..Doyle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.