AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about a month of poring through everything posted here & other places looking into value priced (but hopefully still quality) 37" LCD sets with bottom mount speakers (the bottom mount is important since I want to stick with my entertainment center, for now), I've narrowed it down to two: the Polaroid FLM-3732 and the Olevia 537H. Both of these should be obtainable for about $800 pre-tax cost to me in the next week, the 537H at Target right now, the Polaroid starting Sunday at CC. So I just need to figure out which one I want before then. Like I said, I've done a lot of research already but I thought maybe posting my thoughts here might

My usage: in a family room with lots of windows, all video watching via either OTA HD antenna (no cable or satellite), DVD player or Wii gaming console. Eventually also an HTPC hookup to replace straight HDTV hookup to antenna (maybe later this year)

Advantage Olevia:

----------------------

-- Firmware upgradable (I'm an IT prof & so I know there's no such thing as bug-free code, so I appreciate they accommodated this)

-- Better sound (I could hook it up to a stereo, but honestly I prefer not to bother)

-- Better aesthetics (prefer all black to polaroid silver -- but a minor issue)

-- one year IN HOME warranty

-- Front mount on-set controls (yes I actually use these ... and i think the side-mounted ones on the polaroid could get annoying, especially in the tight confines of my entertainment center, I would have to sue them by feel instead of visually)

-- QAM (does not matter now since I will be getting TV OTA only, but maybe someday I'll be glad to have it? another minor point).

-- made in USA/CA (vs. China like polaroid ... sorry if I offend)

Advantage Polaroid:

-------------------------

-- Better, less restrictive return/exchange options (at CC); only competitive olevia sources I can find in WI are mail (newegg, target online, buy.com). This also means that I have been able to mess around with polaroid at length. I haven't had that chance with the Olevia. If I get Olevia it is much less a sure thing, more a gamble (both on that I know what I'm getting, and that the unit will work well/not have a handful of dead pixels, etc).

-- Better remote (polaroid universal; it sounds like I'll have to buy a learning remote for the Olevia if I get that)

-- better input source switching (not great, but better than scrolling through one way & always resetting to TV like I hear Olevia does).

Neither advantage/unsure:

---------------------------------

-- Picture quality (I hear both are good, I hear both suck. I'm too used to my old CRT to not think both are fantastic, and by the time I "develop the palate" it will be too late).

-- service & support (I hear both have issues here, not sure which would come out ahead

-- which (if any) will work better with Wii gaming/motion? Is the video processor the issue here? I understand the Olevia has the MTK processor: I don't know what the polaroid has.

-- on screen program guide for OTA channels. The polariod shows one channel at a time, you have to move through all the channels one by one to find out what's on & when. I've seen other sets that do it in a more conventional TV Guide type grid that shoulws more than one channel, I'd like that more but I have no idea what the Olevia has in this department.

------------------------------------

So anyone have any thoughts to add/correct mine? I'd love to especially hear from anyone who's seen these head-to-head (which I have not). Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump -- anyone have any head to head experience with these two sets, be willing to compare & contrast strengths and weaknesses? These seem to be two of the higher quality/rep budget sets out there, comparison feedback might be useful to a lot of first time buyers ...

·
Registered
545 Posts
And were you happy?

Adam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.