AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started off with Sony 445H so called extended response speakers, but I don't care for them. So, I'm taking them back to BestBuy.

I'm looking at Circuit City at the Polk 6005 and the Velodyne Deco speaker sets.

I've listened to the Polks and they sound nice; however, I've read that people are hearing popping from the sub after several months. Also, I'm not a fan of running extra speaker wires to the sub--I'd rather just use the sub line out from my HK AVR 525.

I have not heard the velodynes, but they seem to get high praise and I understand the sub is great.

Any recommendations? Words of caution?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
good luck getting a reply on velodyne cus no one seems to know they even sell anything other then subs. i have been asking for help with their CHT14 and 24 Sat speaskers, but no one replys, :(

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The RM6005 package seems a little on the underwhelming side compared to the very nice receiver you have. I understand wanting to stay small in an apartment, but if you went with the RM6700 or RM7200 you would get quite a bit better sound and can also use the line level connection that you prefer. No comment on the Velo package, haven't heard it. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks fireshoes--I'm considering the 6700, now, it is in line with the velodynes pricewise.

The reviews I've read on the PSW303 sub have been pretty good--have you heard anything about a popping sound from polk subs after 6 months or so?

Any other sub/sat systems you might suggest?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with subs popping if you are in an apartment. ;) The PSW303 has a nice sound to it. You may wish to consider the PSW404 which has the same nice sound but with a bit more extension and amplifier power. Either sub comes with a 5 year warranty on the driver and 3 years on the amp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
buggs1a--perhaps we should as the official velodyne support thread? (I'd post the link, but I'm new here and I'm not permitted to do so at this time).

fireshoes--thanks for the extra info on the polk sub--I hadn't even considered looking into the warranty. thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Velodyne 80Deco8 (the system I think you are talking about) compares most closely with the Polk RM7200. It will easily outperform the 6000 series. I have listened to it a lot myself, and was quite impressed. The sub is very powerful, and small. The sattelites have great midbass response, the Polk might be just a tad better in the upper treble, but it is hardly noticeable.

It actually came down to a close call between that system and an Infinity Modulus for me for a tertiary system for a bedroom. I ended up going Infinity mainly for the aesthetics and because I am a harman fanboy, but otherwise it is hard to go wrong with that Velodyne system.,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got home from Circuit City. I was not able to audition the velodyne deco system there--they don't even display it anymore :-(

However, I did audtion the Polk RM 6005, 6700, and 7200--among others. It was near closing time, so the store was quiet and I had the area all to myself for 20 minutes.

I can say that fireshoes is absolutely on target about the 6005--very "underwhelming."

I liked the 6700 for movies, but not as much for music.

I really liked the 7200 for both movies and music. I feel the sub sounded nicer, too, very clean.

So much for my budget!

I found an excellent price at electrodude--899 for the 7200 and 699 for the 6700 plus shipping (55).

I'm getting closer to a decision, but I want to audition the velodynes and perhaps some others before I bite the bullet.

I so much appreciate your help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, buggs1a, I'm disappointed because I really wanted to audtion the veoldynes.

I'm apprehensive about purchasing any speakers again--like the sonys--without really giving them a good audition.

I had a lot of time with the polk systems last night at circuit city. This forum has provided a lot of guidance with really helped me to look for the more subtle differences between the systems last night.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys--I bit the bullet and ordered the Polk RM7200. It was a really tough decision, but after listening to a bunch of speaker sets within my parameters, consulting the forum and researching reviews, I liked the sound of this system the best.

I'm supposed to get them on Thursday--I'm so nervous yet excited. I've been waiting four long years to complete my setup--this is the last piece!

Thank you all so much for your invaluable feedback--I certainly would not have ended up with this set on my own. I would have spent a lot less money on a much lesser system. I know it will be well worth the time, effort, money and research.

:. much thanks,

lukester .:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.