AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a pionner 1018 to replace a old onkyo and yamaha dsp e1000

rom is aprox 18x 18

i have old tannoy c10 with yamaha a202 souround and a paradim sub ( everything is 18 years old aprox but were in storage for the last 8 years)

i would like to go smaller therefore i am debating between those 2 model

polk 6880 is rated 65 watt continue or 130 watt peak

energy take 5 is 100 rms so wich one will be best for the pionner (loudness ect )

polk sat speaker need to be hook up to sub so what happend to the MACC calibration from the pionner?

does energy sat need to be hook up to sub ??

will any of those 2 better than my old set up ?? 70% tv 30% music or should i just keep them ?

need to be purchase at future shop for the moment

thank for any advise

· Registered
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbotte /forum/post/15412628

polk 6880 is rated 65 watt continue or 130 watt peak

energy take 5 is 100 rms so wich one will be best for the pionner (loudness ect )

You can't always just go by the published specs, but it seems that the Energy system can get a couple of dB louder, although both should be able to get loud enough for most people.

Quote:

polk sat speaker need to be hook up to sub

Although for some reason the instructions recommend setting the front left & right speakers to "Large" and connecting them through the speaker-level inputs, the subwoofer appears to be able to accept line-level inputs, which means that you can set the system up the standard way. That said, the problem may be that the line-level inputs are always filtered at a set (and unspecified) frequency, which means that some bass near the crossover frequency could be lost because it is low-pass filtered twice. So I guess for best results, you do have to use the speaker-level inputs.

Quote:

does energy sat need to be hook up to sub ??

No, and you can set its low-pass filter to 150 Hz, which should work fine if you set the crossover frequency in the receiver to 120 Hz.

Quote:

will any of those 2 better than my old set up ?? 70% tv 30% music or should i just keep them ?

I've never listened to any Tannoy C10s personally, but aren't they largish studio monitors? If so, then they're quite different from the two systems you're considering, and only you can know what sounds better to you anyway. I generally prefer larger speakers to smaller ones, myself.

Both of the newer systems sound pretty good to me, especially for what they are, but they do sound different. The Energy set sounds brighter and more forward, while the Polk set is more mellow and laid back. Between the two, the Energy set seems better overall because its satellites can support a subwoofer crossover of 120 Hz rather than something higher (I despise high subwoofer crossover frequencies), and its subwoofer can go lower and has more power (200 W compared to 65 W). Between the two, I'd choose the Energy system, but that's just me, and you need to decide how much you like your current equipment, which may well be superior.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.