AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on finishing out the basement on a new house I am building and am deciding on some new equipment for the HT.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-32 to power my HT. I have two Polk Audio RTi A3's and CSi A6 for the front. I am trying to decide what to do for the surround. I am leaning toward going with 7.1, 5.1 and wiring for 7.1 in the future. I am thinking I could go with some FXi A6's for the surround, but would it be best to use them for both surrounds in a 7.1 system? What moving the A3's to a surround and replacing them with RTi A7's up front?

The room is going to be 12'w x 25'l x 9'h or so.

I currently have a decent sub that will eventually be replaced with a HSU sub of some sort. Any recommendations on a decent sub for under 1k that would match up well with the Polks?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz97 /forum/post/20813350

I am working on finishing out the basement on a new house I am building and am deciding on some new equipment for the HT.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-32 to power my HT. I have two Polk Audio RTi A3's and CSi A6 for the front. I am trying to decide what to do for the surround. I am leaning toward going with 7.1, 5.1 and wiring for 7.1 in the future. I am thinking I could go with some FXi A6's for the surround, but would it be best to use them for both surrounds in a 7.1 system? What moving the A3's to a surround and replacing them with RTi A7's up front?

The room is going to be 12'w x 25'l x 9'h or so.

I currently have a decent sub that will eventually be replaced with a HSU sub of some sort. Any recommendations on a decent sub for under 1k that would match up well with the Polks?

Thoughts?

I dont have dipole/bipole surrounds, but from what I have read you should speakers like the FXi's for you side surrounds and monopole's for the rear surrounds. Hopefully someone with this type of setup can chime in and verify this.

Also, if I were you I would wire for 5.1, 7.1 with rear surrounds and 7.1 with front heights so save you time down the road if you decide to try other speaker configs. Hell while you are at it you might as well wire wide channels.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz97 /forum/post/20813902

I might look at wiring for front highs, but with the room being 12' wide I don't see much use for the wide channels.

I guess you are right on that one. My front soundstage is oin a 20 ft, so in my case it does work out pretty good. I am thinking of swapping room around and putting the front soundstage on the 11 ft wall in which I would ditch the wides and probably add rear surrounds and either do 7.1 with heights or 7.1 with wides depending on the content.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have the wife's approval to go with the Rti A3's as the rear surround, RTi A7's as the front, CSI A6 as the center and FXi A6's for the side surround. I am driving this with my current Pioneer Elite VSX-32 for now and I will use it later as a preamp once I save up for a dedicated amp.

I will upload a sketch of my thoughts for placement as soon as I get home from work tonight.

Does anyone know of any good ceiling mounts for the RTi A3's?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.