AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my search down to 2 options for my HT 7.1 system...

Center: Polk RM201

Front: Polk RM201

Side Rears: Polk RM201

Rears: Polk RM101

or

Center: Polk RM201

Front: Polk Monitor 60's

Side Rears: Polk RM201

Rears: Polk RM101

I can get these both about the same price... not sure if using the Monitor 60's would be ok or if I should just go with the 201's.

Thanks for any thoughts...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Have you listened to anything else in your price range?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I picked the Monitor 60s out of an entire set of demo speakers under $1300 ( the RTis 8and 12 were much better but priced higher) - they put out a strong midrange and clear highs. Coupled with a good subwoofer the sound is very balanced. For the price they perform great.

As for the small satellites I dont recommend them unless you dont have room for larger speakers. I compared speakers this size and they just cant deliver clear vocals/dialog especially for the center and this is very noticable. For movies they will be taxed as over 50% of special effects is delivered through the center channel.

Polk has a monitor 104 home theater system which consists of the CS1, Monitor 40, Monitor 30 and a PSW10 sub for $699 . All of these are exacly the same size woofers and tweeters as the Monitor 60 so you will get excellent timbre/vocal match across the entire 360 degree soundfield (good for SACD or DVD audio). Only the sub is not that good in the set but you save $200 over buying separately. I purchased this set up myself but still have one more set/brand to compare with the klipsch SF series on clearance at best buy. I suggest you do the same and go listen for yourself.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was a bit worried about the center channel.... I could always get the cs1...

Think the 201's and 101's will be ok as just the rears and have the cs1 as the center and the Monitor 60's as the fronts? I really do like the way the 201's look ;) I'm not sure how much the rear speakers get used in the 7.1 system, but hopefully the 101's ok since they are part of the package.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca
Polk has a monitor 104 home theater system which consists of the CS1, Monitor 40, Monitor 30 and a PSW10 sub for $699 . .
On sale to day included with a Sony DE598 receiver for that price at Frys. This would not ordinarily by my choice for a receiver, but it's a very good deal.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Looks like I need to make a trip out to frys - 6 hours away but at least I get to play around a bit once more....

Looks can kill. I dont recommend you listen to larger speakers if you go with the smaller ones. One second is all it takes to regret a 'looks' purchase. I should know, I used to own a Bose acoustimass system ( sure looks sexy) and thought it was the ultimate.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The RM20 is a pretty decent sub/sat package. But if you like the sound of the RTi8's or 10's that much better, why not get a really nice stereo pair now instead of a mediocre surround sound? You can always add the matching speakers later. Polk is planning on the RTi series being in production for at least another year. Just a thought...

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Frys sells through Outpost online. This is in-store only pricing. This setup was offered in NorCal, sometimes they are nationwide, sometimes regional. If you have a Frys in your area, they advertise some amazing specials every Friday in the local paper. Besides this Polk deal, this weekend they're selling an HK 2005 digital 7.1 receiver for $499 - MSRP $1800. The sales don't last more than a few days, but they do re-occur. I've seen this Polk deal several times matched with different receivers.

apodaca- call first - 6 hours is a long drive. :D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you think using Monitor 60's as the front speakers will be too much for the center channel to handle (that comes with the RM20)? I would then move the rm201's to be the side rears.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am trying to keep the total speaker bill (for a 7.1 system) under 1400 (not including the sub). The Polks are ones I can go to a store and listen to etc.... So I am open to alternatives, but I'd like them to be actually for sale somewhere (in the mid-atlantic region :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If you must have the satellite system then I recommend you look at Cambridge Soundworks MC300 speaker package which consists of dual 4 inch drivers and tweeter in each satellite. They sound acceptable when compared with larger speakers but still suffer from the sat-sub combo sound. Their customer service has not been stellar though. 45 day in home trial.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.