AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy at work who's moving out of the country is selling a pair of "hardly used" LSi7's for $400 OBO. I need something compact to improve my lcd tv's sound. Was thinking either a soundbar or a 2.1 setup.

Would these sound good with an inexpensive receiver and small sub for home theater(movies/TV/gaming) use?

How much should I offer?

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
no these speakers will not work well with a normal receiver.... They are 4ohm speakers so you'll need a receiver or a separate amp, that can handle the 4ohms.. if you don't already have a receiver i would suggest the HK 34XX series as they are capable of 4ohm loads. $400 is a really good price for hardly used, I'd say offer $350 and see if he says yes. You may be able to use them with a normal receiver if you keep the volume really low but if you're using it for HT use, I'm doubting that's your intention. These are great speakers if you have the ability to drive them.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsax /forum/post/18286694

no these speakers will not work well with a normal receiver.... They are 4ohm speakers so you'll need a receiver or a separate amp, that can handle the 4ohms.. if you don't already have a receiver i would suggest the HK 34XX series as they are capable of 4ohm loads. $400 is a really good price for hardly used, I'd say offer $350 and see if he says yes. You may be able to use them with a normal receiver if you keep the volume really low but if you're using it for HT use, I'm doubting that's your intention. These are great speakers if you have the ability to drive them.

Thanks.

So we're talking another $350 for a receiver?

Are they they type of speaker that is suitable for movie/game types audio, or would something else in the sub $400 price range be better?

Also, can you suggest a smaller sub to go with it?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18286828

2 Paradigm Mini-Monitors can be had for $400 and they are very easy to drive. Not to mention they sound great

I should mention that placement location is an issue. I'd really like to put the speakers above the TV in a cabinet (maybe even lying on their sides). A speaker bar seems ideal because many of them were meant to go above the tv and I think a cabinet would be acceptable.

Reading a review of the Paradigm Mini-Monitors it looks like there are a lot of placement requirments: tweeters at ear level, on stands, 8 inches from a back wall.

Would I still get better sound out of individual speakers like this than a speaker bar considering my placement restraints?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The LSi7s are actually closer to a 6 ohm average speaker with a couple of impedence dips and isn't the killer to drive that the larger LSis are. It's a nice sounding bookshelf with a very good, slightly laid back Vifa ring tweeter. It's fine for HT, very good for 2 channel music in a small to medium sized room. It will also be fine for a gaming application. All that said, I'd like these speakers, not sure everyone would. Polk RTis or other brands might suit you better for gaming and movies. They are more dynamic with less power, more forward and a tad edgy vs. laid back and smooth. Get a listen, then offer $300, settle for $350.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts