AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I couldn't pass up the Newegg $99 each and purchased 4 Polk Audio Monitor 60's

Its the very first purchase for my "home theater" so i was hoping to make sure I can use these four speakers as my Fronts and Rears? Then of course purchase a Center, and Sub. ( or possibly 2 more surrounds one day for 7.1)

Thanks all

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Yeah it should work fine, make sure to get the bigger matching center, CS2 I believe. How big is your space and what is your budget for a sub?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply.

I will look into the CS2... just buying for future project. most likely a 10x15 maybe a little bigger.. For my Sub I will prob invest about $600 as I know its rather important. That is me assuming $600 would be "decent" atleast.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
That is a great budget for a sub, the Rythmik LV12R is probably the best performer at that price range and would be very appropriate for that room size.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1497986/polk-audio-monitor-60s#post_23910293

That is a great budget for a sub, the Rythmik LV12R is probably the best performer at that price range and would be very appropriate for that room size.
That's a great choice for the sub. Another one would be SVS PB-1000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1497986/polk-audio-monitor-60s#post_23909783

Yeah it should work fine, make sure to get the bigger matching center, CS2 I believe. How big is your space and what is your budget for a sub?
Agree. For the price it should be a real great start for your HT. Definitely take his advice and get the larger center channel, its real important to have a good center as it carries almost the dialogue in the movies (I'm sure you already knew that). But I skimped when purchased my system (Polk RTi-a7, Rti-a3, FXi-a4) and got the smaller CSI-a4 center channel. Watched a movie that night and the next day I took it back and got the bigger CSI-a6. It makes a huge difference and its worth the extra money. 

Sounds like you should be enjoying a nice new HT soon, congratulations. 

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I agree. The Rythmik sub should be a little more powerful than the PB-1000, so that would be my choice. But both are very good. If you are not in a hurry, you can watch and see if Outlaw Audio puts their LFM-1 Plus or LFM-1 EX. They often have for Black Friday/Cyber Monday or in the weeks immediately following (subscribe to their mailing list).

In addition to the Monitor CS2, note that the Polk TSi series that BestBuy sells is the same speaker series as the Monitor series with slightly different aesthetics. If the TSi CS20 is cheaper and matches enough for you, it can work as well sonically.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I Monitor 60's and for the price they are a great speaker. I ended up giving them to my parents (After 5 or so years of use) and everyone that goes over there still comments on how great they sound.

For the price or even quite a bit higher, they do sound pretty damn good. I think that you will be very happy with them.

I would second the recommendation of making sure that your center channel matches in Timber. The CS1 does sound good, but the CS2 would be even better if you have the space. make sure that you look at the dimensions because the CS2 is much larger and pretty big. I had to have a custom mount made for it to hang below my television.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerbob  /t/1497986/polk-audio-monitor-60s/0_100#post_23912963

I was thinking about getting these Polk 60s. Do they go on sale often?

they used to, about once a month or so, however they were no longer available from newegg for the past several months. they were, i thought, officially replaced with the New Monitor series, but the egg must have gotten a new batch in recently which prompted the current sales. if you want them, get them now, this $99 price point is practically unheard of for them, plus there is no grantee they will still be for sale in the coming weeks and months.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerbob  /t/1497986/polk-audio-monitor-60s/0_100#post_23913024

I just looked at newegg, and it says $199 now

keep checking. im sure they will go on sale again for as long as they have some in stock.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerbob  /t/1497986/polk-audio-monitor-60s/0_100#post_23913089

Thanks. Maybe they will go on sale for black friday.
id check this weekend, they used to put them on sale frequently during the weekend shell shocker deals. sign up for their email list to be notified of their sales.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts

I scored 4 of the Monitor 60s as well, I can also pull the trigger on the CS1 for $60 for a total of $460

I was also thinking about returning two of the 60s and buying 2 Monitor 70s and a CS2 totaling $730 but are the advantages worth anywhere close to $270 more I will be spending?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude  /t/1497986/polk-audio-monitor-60s#post_23913153

I scored 4 of the Monitor 60s as well, I can also pull the trigger on the CS1 for $60 for a total of $460

I was also thinking about returning two of the 60s and buying 2 Monitor 70s and a CS2 totaling $730 but are the advantages worth anywhere close to $270 more I will be spending?

What kind of sub do you have? A good sub is going to dig deeper and provide more output than the M70s. Better for HT usage and gaming, IMO, unless you already have a great sub, to put the difference in money toward the best sub you can.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude  /t/1497986/polk-audio-monitor-60s#post_23913198

I ordered a Lava LSP12 but may cancel it

The Lava sub does not have a lot of below 40hz output. If you could spend a little more and get the SVS PB-1000 to match with the M60s, that would be a much better setup. The PB-1000 has usable output down to 19hz!

Here's an S&V review where they say, " If you're shopping for a kick-ass home theater sub for less than $500, buy one." A lot of people on AVS would agree with that.

·
Registered
305 Posts

I need a sub that is also really good for music, anything out there that is good at both under $500? My budget just keeps going up and up haha

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude  /t/1497986/polk-audio-monitor-60s#post_23913278

I need a sub that is also really good for music, anything out there that is good at both under $500? My budget just keeps going up and up haha

The PB-1000 would be very good for music, too.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts