AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a pair of Klipsch reference series R15m book shelf speakers from best buy. I paid $200 as they were on sale for $50 off that day. I returned them due to being offered a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70 series II black for $200. I just wanted to know if I made a wise decision on returning the R15m's for the monitor 70's. I think i have done well. For an additional $200 i can get a Velodyne front-firing powered 10" unsure of the exact model number, center channel is a Polk CS2 Series I, and rears are Polk Monitor 30 Series I.

So what is every ones impressions? Did I make a good call on getting these and should i get the center rears and sub for another $200? I also currently only have a Yamaha sr-201 stereo receiver so I am going to have to buy another receiver for the full surround setup if i decide to get it. Which I think i want to. What receivers would be a good match for this set? I prefer to buy used in good condition when i can as I am trying to get a lot of value but new and used suggestion are welcome. I also have a pair of hd 598 head phones from Sennhiser. I know its unrelated just thought I would share that for some reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
I recently bought a pair of Klipsch reference series R15m book shelf speakers from best buy. I paid $200 as they were on sale for $50 off that day. I returned them due to being offered a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70 series II black for $200. I just wanted to know if I made a wise decision on returning the R15m's for the monitor 70's. I think i have done well. For an additional $200 i can get a Velodyne front-firing powered 10" unsure of the exact model number, center channel is a Polk CS2 Series I, and rears are Polk Monitor 30 Series I.

So what is every ones impressions? Did I make a good call on getting these and should i get the center rears and sub for another $200? I also currently only have a Yamaha sr-201 stereo receiver so I am going to have to buy another receiver for the full surround setup if i decide to get it. Which I think i want to. What receivers would be a good match for this set? I prefer to buy used in good condition when i can as I am trying to get a lot of value but new and used suggestion are welcome. I also have a pair of hd 598 head phones from Sennhiser. I know its unrelated just thought I would share that for some reason.
They don't sound bad at all and for the price you paid for them is a good deal. I used to have them a few years ago, only thing is that they need a lot of power to really open up and sound good. Get a good receiver with a decent amount of wattage and they will sound pretty good. I had them hooked to an Onkyo tx-nr818 and they sounded good once I got some good power to them. I got a Carver 3 channel amp 225 watts x 3 and hooked that up to them and they sounded way better with good clean power. Polk speakers are a little bright though. The bass isn't the greatest in this speaker but not bad for what they are and what you paid for them. Definitely get a good sub to go with then and I think youll like them, til you get the UPGRADEITIS lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the input. Any thoughts on the rest if the speakers?
Youll be good with your set up. That's how this game is, you take baby steps and save money for better equipment down the road. A lot of us on here aren't Richie Rich and have done the same thing, buy what we can afford at the time and save up for later. Just don't have it in your mind all the time that you want more, kinda like a crackhead always wants more ya know lol. Some people on here have unlimited cash flow for stuff but us normal Joes take baby steps in the upgrade game. Polk makes good stuff for the money. Are there better brands for the money, probably but its your ears and your wallet just remember that. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I too started out with the Monitor series, had 2 for fronts, M40s for wides & another pair of M70s as surrounds & I enjoyed them for over a year til I kept eyeing the RTiA series in cherry & just lusted over those speakers lol. The Monitors aren't much to look at, but they performed well enuff at the time since I have a decent sub. I wasn't impressed with the CS2 center much tho, always had to turn it up for clarity. Have thought about getting an amp, just haven't saved up for it yet, maybe one of these days. I'm very happy with what I have & how it sounds. If you enjoy the sound, that's all that matters! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts