AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just replaced an older JBL subwoofer with a brand new Polk OSW10, and I am having distortion problems with it. I didn't have distortion problems with my old JBL hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver.

I have the crossover frequency set to 70hz for the woofer and around 90hz for my old Marantz tower speakers that have at least a 6" woofer in them as well.

I can't for the life of me figure out if my Onkyo reciever has a separate way to set all of my speakers to "small," and I'm wondering if that may be my problem. The bass in the Polk woofer is pretty distorted in several different Blu-Rays that I've played so far.

Anyone know what I should try next to try to resolve this?

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
Did you run Audyssey on your Onkyo? Where did Audyssey set your crossovers? Where did Audyssey set the sub trim?

I have the crossover frequency set to 70hz for the woofer and around 90hz for my old Marantz tower speakers
Do you mean you have the crossover on the sub set to 70hz? If so, that is wrong...it should be turned up as high as it will go or turned off (if your sub has that option).

I can't for the life of me figure out if my Onkyo reciever has a separate way to set all of my speakers to "small,"
Yes, it does. Have you looked in the manual?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you run Audyssey on your Onkyo? Where did Audyssey set your crossovers? Where did Audyssey set the sub trim?

Do you mean you have the crossover on the sub set to 70hz? If so, that is wrong...it should be turned up as high as it will go or turned off (if your sub has that option).

Yes, it does. Have you looked in the manual?

I don't have the microphone that came with the Onkyo, so I haven't been able to run Audyssey. I set all of my crossover frequencies manually.

For the crossover on the sub, I do have it turned all the way up on the actual woofer. I have it set to 70hz in the receiver settings.

And I have looked through the manual for my Onkyo several times for how to set the speakers to "small," but I can't find anything about that at all in the manual or in the on-screen receiver settings. Seems like it's pretty probable that it doesn't have that setting.

So I'm still baffled by why the speaker is distorting!

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
I don't have the microphone that came with the Onkyo, so I haven't been able to run Audyssey. I set all of my crossover frequencies manually.

For the crossover on the sub, I do have it turned all the way up on the actual woofer. I have it set to 70hz in the receiver settings.

And I have looked through the manual for my Onkyo several times for how to set the speakers to "small," but I can't find anything about that at all in the manual or in the on-screen receiver settings. Seems like it's pretty probable that it doesn't have that setting.

OK, just looked at your manual. Your AVR does not have "Large" & "Small" settings...instead it is "Full Band" or crossed-over. So, if you set a crossover for a speaker, you essentially have set it to "Small". ;)

I still don't know where you are setting the sub to 70hz....can't be the LPF of LFE because it doesn't go that low, can't be a crossover because there is no crossover setting for the sub (only for the speakers). If you are mistaken and it is not 70hz but 80hz and it is the LPF of LFE setting, that should be set to 120hz.

I set all of my crossover frequencies manually.
How did you determine where to set them? What are your speakers? Did you also set the distance settings manually? Have you set the speaker levels to 75db with the internal test tones and an SPL meter?

You should buy a mic for the AVR so you can run Audyssey...the system will sound much better. :)

My guess? You're over-driving it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out that the whole problem here was that I had a defective new Polk subwoofer. The replacement speaker doesn't distort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts