AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first powered subwoofer, it seems to be a popular beginner subwoofer, curious if this is a good reliable choice? Or is there something comparable?
Also, I'm a bit confused which one to plug a powered subwoofer to my Marantz SR6008. Is it subwoofer 1 (black hole) under pre out? Or subwoofer under 7.1 in?
only have two main front speakers currently plugged in. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Sub 1 pre-out.

I would save my $$$ and get a Subwoofer from HSU, Rythmik, REL, or RSL.

If you NEED a subwoofer now that's close to the same price range of the Polk, then I'd look at the Dayton Audio sub1200 or BIC F12.

I had a PSW10, I gave up on it after two amplifier failures.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
976 Posts
Well, you're going "out" to your sub, so choosing "in" would be counter productive. The Polk is a VERY budget model. Aim a bit higher. RSL speedwoofer is a good "budget" option.

Reactions: yanks1

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don’t know much about the sub, but to be honest, its specs are quite underwhelming - but, it is inexpensive and will likely add a bit of oomph in the mid to upper base range.

I’d take a look at the budget subwoofers thread stickied in this subforum:

you want to use the pre out. 1 or 2 will work - I’d use 1.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sub 1 pre-out.

I would save my $$$ and get a Subwoofer from HSU, Rythmik, REL, or RSL.

If you NEED a subwoofer now that's close to the same price range of the Polk, then I'd look at the Dayton Audio sub1200 or BIC F12.

I had a PSW10, I gave up on it after two amplifier failures.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Had a PSW505 Polk myself and the amp failed after a few years of not so heavy use. Read that it’s common with the budget Polks, sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another constraint is the location, due to a custom built book shelf cavity (open-no doors) that houses the audio rack, there's only about 15" of width to put the subwoofer in next to the component rack, I would get the Dayton but it's about 16" wide.. I'm going to look into BIC F12

·
Registered
14 Posts
This will be my first powered subwoofer, it seems to be a popular beginner subwoofer, curious if this is a good reliable choice? Or is there something comparable?
Also, I'm a bit confused which one to plug a powered subwoofer to my Marantz SR6008. Is it subwoofer 1 (black hole) under pre out? Or subwoofer under 7.1 in?
only have two main front speakers currently plugged in. Thanks!

View attachment 3047640
I have this subwoofer for the past 9 years and it has worked flawlessly for me. Right now it compliments the lows for a 5 year old 65" Sony TV that has decent speakers on both sides and has subwoofer output (Sony tried to solve bad speakers on TV problem for a few years because giving up). If you are on a budget, I would definitely consider it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The PSW10 is a good starter sub, I used to buy them to use under Pinball machines and they had a solid punch to them, never gave me an issue, hard to beat for the price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I've decided to get the BIC America F12, hopefully it will serve reliably for few years..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually between Dayton Sub 1200 and BIC F12, which would be the one to get? BIC seems to have more wattage...

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I would choose neither due to the placement issue. You need a sealed sub or a sub that fires forward (including the port). These two subs have a rear port and a downward firing port. These options will excite cabinet resonances, causing thick, muddy, sound (and probably rattle anything on that cabinet that isn't glued down).

Keep looking.

This is one option:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_nw_mr

Here's another:

Amazon.com: Fluance DB10W 10-inch Low Frequency Powered Subwoofer for Home Theater (Natural Walnut): Electronics

This one has often gone on sale for half price of late, and has been praised here (check the JBL site):

Amazon.com: JBL Sub 550P High-Performance 10" Powered Subwoofer Sealed Enclosure with Built-in 300-Watt RMS Amplifier: Home Audio & Theater

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point, how about Polk Audio PSW505? Looks like it's front firing and front ported (I see a slot on the front bottom).

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
The port is in the back, so that would be a no. If you have other options for placement, you would open up a lot more choices (and probably end up with better performance, as subwoofer placement in the room is the primary way to "tune" the sub for best performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This looks like a good choice and will fit just right into the space next to my audio rack. I assume this should work fine with my Marantz. Think I will go with your recommendation. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
This looks like a good choice and will fit just right into the space next to my audio rack. I assume this should work fine with my Marantz. Think I will go with your recommendation. Thanks!
I don't remember recommending anything ... just giving you some options to peruse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is is the corner I will be placing the subwoofer. It is 16" wide once the rack is shifted over and 17" deep. It is a cleaner set up, otherwise, I will just have to leave the subwoofer out and just place it in front of the side wall...

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Try it in both positions (rack at left of area, then rack at right of area), and pick the one that sounds best. If neither work well, then look at moving the sub to some other position.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts