AVS Forum banner

Polk Audio PSW505

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jon S 
#1 ·
I currently have a Klispch SW10 II which is a very old sub with a 10" cone and a 12" passive cone.

■FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 30Hz-120Hz(+-)3dB

I keep getting a popping noise on some movies and Blu Rays, even at a low volume. I have tried different setting that dont seem to help. I do not have any problems playing music at max volume.

I am looking at the PSW505, which is on sale at Newegg for $249 shipped. Is this a worthy sub? System is used mostly for watching tv and Blu Ray movies. I like lots of good clean base even at low volume.

My room is 15x25. I have a Onkyo TX-NR616, DCM 12 front and surround speakers rated at 250 watts, and a Polk Audio front channel. Running in 5.1. Flooring is carpet on wood structure.

I wouldnt mind spending 2 or $300 more for a much better sub, but having a hard time selecting one.

So, is the PSW505 a good sub, especially for the price? If possible, I wouldnt mind purchasing a better sub for around $500, if at all possible.

Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
You would find it a nice upgrade. I have the slightly bigger LFM-1 EX and love it.

The Plus should should have a little better SQ and will dig deeper in frequencies for movie soundtracks (a plus for bass special effects) over the S10.3 subs.

#5 ·
How about the Definitive ProSub 1000? I called a local dealer for this sub, and of course he is trying to talk me into the Definitive 4000 or 6000. He said if I purchase any sub from him, he will come out to my house and set everything up and run tests to get the most out of my system. Normally he spends 3 hours at $94 an hour, but said he will just charge a flat rate of $100 for the entire 3 hours.

Does anyone have any experience with the Definitive 1000 or maybe 4000 sub?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by openchut82  /t/1416789/polk-audio-psw505#post_22157015

How about the Definitive ProSub 1000? I called a local dealer for this sub, and of course he is trying to talk me into the Definitive 4000 or 6000. He said if I purchase any sub from him, he will come out to my house and set everything up and run tests to get the most out of my system. Normally he spends 3 hours at $94 an hour, but said he will just charge a flat rate of $100 for the entire 3 hours.

Does anyone have any experience with the Definitive 1000 or maybe 4000 sub?

I have the Supercube 6000... For $1000, the sub's performance/price ratio is not worth it... A 9" driver will not do much for bass in a big room. I'd suggest you look elsewhere...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.