AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a system for 80% music / 20% movies use. The room is like 16 x 16 but open at the back so its really pretty big (if that makes sense). I have a Pannie SA XR55 and a Pannie DVD F86. I am looking for smallish speakers with a subwoofer, pre-packaged for audio & HT. One system I am looking at is the Polk Audio RM6800 5.1 home theater speaker system. These speakers are about the right size (fronts are 12"H, center is 12"W, rears are 7"H, 12" subwoofer) and look sort of cool, not like traditional bookshelves. But, freq response for all speakers is speced as 100-20KHz, which worries me. Even the cheapest Polk bookshelf (R15) says 65 - 20Khz, and the small monitors are even better than that. Does this mean that given my requirements (good audio sound) I would be better off going to real bookshelves? Or do these speakers really sound good with 2 channel audio and I am missing something? (Try to answer without getting into too many specifics about Polk vs other brands if possible lol)...

Steve

PS - I have listened to this system in 1 store, but it was very loud and they wouldnt let me choose my own music, and all the comparable speakers were also satellites. I am wondering how these would sound against good small bookshelf speakers...

·
Registered
312 Posts
If it were me I'd definitely choose bookshelf speakers for music over any of these mini-sub packages.Besides sounding better it would give you more flexibility in the future.If you do audition speakers I'd recomend using your own music & leaving if you can't audition at the volume you choose.In the big fast floor stores going during the week especially the day will usually yield a quieter background level.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I think I asked this the wrong way though, so let me try again.

The subwoofer that comes with this system is rated "frequency response 33-160 (-3dB)." The other 5 speakers are rated "100-20KHz." They advertise the overall system as having a freq response of "33 to 20Khz." Which I suppose it does, so maybe I dont care about this (lol). But I guess my real question is, does it matter where the bass cutoff is? Will speakers going down to 60Hz sound better than these (which cutoff at 100 Hz)? Or will they essentially sound the same, assuming both systems use a subwoofer and its adjusted correctly? Hope thats clearer...

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think I found the answer to my question on Audioholics in their article "Bass Management Basics – Settings Made Simple." They say: "Low frequency information below 120Hz is, for the most part, non-directional, meaning that even if the info is “crossing over†from a surround channel, you won’t know it. The effect will still sound like its coming from the surround, thanks to the principles of psycho-acoustics. " I take that to mean that 120 is sort of the upper limit for good sounding bass cutoff. So if the fronts accurately reproduce sound at 100 Hz and above, and you set the bass cutoff at 100 (or maybe 120), you should be ok, ie this will generally not sound too different than speakers which can reproduce sound to 60 HZ and the bass cutoff set at say 80. Any comments?

Steve

·
Registered
312 Posts
My suggestion would be to audition the mini-speaker system and compare it to a bookshelf system including a sub using a variety of material especially acoustic guitar and vocalists.If you can also try and listen to the mini-speakers without a sub vs. the bookshelf speakers , I think this will give you an idea of what you might be missing in the mini speakers.Best of luck with your decision. Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.