AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to purchase a 5.1 speaker set to replace my old HTiB speakers. I will (most likely) be plugging everything into a new Sony STR-DN1000 receiver.

I was looking at this set of speakers - the Polk RM6750 set.

Would you recommend this set for the money? Or would you recommend a different set for a similar amount? I'm not concerned with getting a full 7.1 set just yet, even though the receiver will allow for it.

I also noticed the Polk RM705 speaker set; they both retail for the same price, but Amazon prices the RM6750 a hundred dollars less.

Why? What does the RM705 have, that the RM6750 doesn't? And more importantly, do I want it?

FYI: My media room would be about 16'x12', and opens into the kitchen. The floors are hardwood, and I'd expect a nice rich bass as a result.

Would these speaker sets be "too much" speaker for that room? Not enough?

·
Registered
29,191 Posts

Quote:
Why? What does the RM705 have, that the RM6750 doesn't? And more importantly, do I want it?

A newer look. The 6750 has been around for a lot longer and in fact is listed under Discontinued models on Polks website.

The 6750 actually has a larger midrange, 3.5" vs 2.5" on the 705. I would get the 6750 and save the extra money.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Take a look at the Infinity Primus P362's at Frys for the front 2. Even if you have to piece together a system you will like it much better than a htib.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So - aside from building a speaker setup piecemeal - it looks like my choices are down to the Polk RM6705 , the Polk RM705 , and another set someone suggested; the Jamo S 413 .

Of those three, which would you recommend and why? I admit I'm not sure exactly which specific numbers I should be looking at. It looks like the RM6705 has the largest range of frequency. On the other hand, the Jamo set has wood enclosures, which I hear can make a large difference. And the Jamo 413 and Polk RM705 both have downward-firing subs, which would be very nice on my hardwood floors.

And finally, are these really going to create $250 worth of improvement over the satellites included with my previous Onkyo HTiB ? Or would I be better off just replacing subwoofer for now (my old one is passive, so I'd have to get a sub regardless)?

Thoughts? I really need to decide on a set, here...

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts