AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my Onkyo TX-SR313 is rendered useless as a HDMI receiver, I'm thinking of using it as a stereo system for my room. I'm looking at a pair of Polk Audio RTI A1 speakers, and I'm thinking of getting them to setup a nice stereo system for my small room. Since the receiver only provides 65 watts per channel, should that matter? Would the speakers be under power to the point where it won't produce enough bass, or in other words does having more watts equals more bass power? I just want to know if this a good setup and if I will get great audio quality.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Those will work fine together, and that is plenty of power for a small room. You will want to add a subwoofer if you want more bass, additional wattage will not provide that.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I run my Polk RTi4's (Previous version of the RTi A1's) with probably 10watts max (on a good day) with a small T-amp, and it is plenty of power. I love these as a small stereo

The Onkyo tx-sr313 will have plenty of power. If you want more bass though I would suggest adding a subwoofer.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't have a subwoofer in my room due to no having enough space. What kind of bass would I expect from these speakers?

So I bought these speaker wires in advance:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z8D3AE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm planning to to use these speaker wires for something else, but I might use them for my polk speakers. Are Monster brand speaker wires good enough? If not, then what speaker wires would you guys recommend and at what gauge?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I can't have a subwoofer in my room due to no having enough space. What kind of bass would I expect from these speakers?

So I bought these speaker wires in advance:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z8D3AE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm planning to to use these speaker wires for something else, but I might use them for my polk speakers. Are Monster brand speaker wires good enough? If not, then what speaker wires would you guys recommend and at what gauge?
They will be fine for most music that isn't bass heavy. For movies you would really want a sub, but they should be fine for the time being.

I can't tell what gauge speaker wire that is, but generally 16awg is sufficient for most purposes. As long as you are buying copper wire, brand doesn't matter, and despite what manufacturers claim, it all sounds the same. Monoprice is usually the best place to get cables/speaker wire.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
That should be plenty of wire for a stereo speaker set-up.

I like Monoprice for speaker wire as I have found their is no real benefit for paying the high price for Monster branded cables.

14-16ga speaker wire is what I go with. Monoprice is the best place to buy it online. But in a pinch I go to the local radio shack.

As for the bass you are going to get out of the RTi A1's, I wouldn't expect much but they are not bad sounding at all. I could fit a subwoofer in my room but I don't and just use the Polk RTi4's by themselves and I am always happy with their performance for music listening and when plugged into TV occassionally. Besides I have towers down stairs if I feel I need the bass.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to go for the ones at monoprice at 12 gauge, but it would had cost me $24 shipped for the shortest spindle which is 50 ft. Then I saw the Monster brand for half, and I never had problems with their products when it comes to quality. Hopefully they sound the same as the Monoprice ones I used for my main setup at my living room.

If I want powerful bass, I have my main setup with a subwoofer for that. I trust that these Polk speakers will be more than enough for my small room.

Since I'm going to be connecting my Onkyo receiver via Optical cable from my sound card of my desktop computer, is the best method to get the cleanest audio through? I will be limited to 48Khz 16 bit audio, but if I want to output higher quality audio, I would have to buy a high end sound card with analog out right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts