Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and receiver for HT 6.1

I'm looking closely at Polk Audio's RTi6 Book Shelf speakers for the mains, LSic center channel and 3 FXi3 surround speakers. On the SVS side I'm looking at the SBS-01 5.0 package. My sub requirements are already satisfied. I have the SVS PB12-Plus sub which works just flawless! My tv room is 13x13x20 (opening to the kitchen) and there isn't a need for big speakers. I am in the process of purchasing the Denon 3805 receiver and my question is simply which speaker package is good for tv and DVD watching? Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm sure they both are fine for reproducing sound. You need to decide which one you want and go for it.

Speakers are like wine - except with wine, it's easier to sample varieties and types. Sometimes the wine doesn't go with what you eat, like a speaker may not go with the source material or electronics as well as another.

But you can sample speakers, and buying used or with a return option, you stand little chance of losing money.

So buy one, try it for a while, and then try something else later. Is it worse? Better?

SVS is pretty new. Maybe someone with Polks has them now and can offer comparisons, and on paper they might favor one or the other. But your tastes in your home might be completely different. So you have to decide which one and just go for it.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Between the two options you're considering, you will be better off buying the SVS speakers. If you want to buy Polk, you will be better off buying from the same line.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
You are asking an apples and oranges question that really can't be answered. The SVS bookshelf speakers are sealed and matched. The Polk RTi6s probably are superior, but I guarantee will be brighter, won't match with that LSi center and the bi/di pole surrounds will match the fronts, but won't sound anything like the SVS set.

If you are seriously looking at the SVS, wait for a few reviews from users and go audition some Polks. Order the SVS package and return it if you don't like them as well. I own Polks and love them. I'm also curious about the SVS set too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
You are asking an apples and oranges question that really can't be answered. The SVS bookshelf speakers are sealed and matched. The Polk RTi6s probably are superior, but I guarantee will be brighter, won't match with that LSi center and the bi/di pole surrounds will match the fronts, but won't sound anything like the SVS set.

If you are seriously looking at the SVS, wait for a few reviews from users and go audition some Polks. Order the SVS package and return it if you don't like them as well. I own Polks and love them. I'm also curious about the SVS set too.
Hi Ron.

Just came back from Showcase and I auditioned the RTi6's with the CSi5 Center and the FXi3's. I was very impressed with them. I think I'm going to go that route unless someone who has the SVS set and completely swears by them.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixlon
I was very impressed with them.
That's reason enough to go for the Polks. Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I really feel that the SVS package will be excellent value for performance, but I doubt if they will sound very similar. I might wangle an audition if I can find someone local. That being said the 6s are much more speaker than the SVS bookshelves.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
I really feel that the SVS package will be excellent value for performance, but I doubt if they will sound very similar. I might wangle an audition if I can find someone local. That being said the 6s are much more speaker than the SVS bookshelves.
I think that's the reason I'm leaning towards the Polk's because of the 6's front speaker. I also like the FXi3's as a surround speaker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.