AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see this brand mentioned very often here. I am about to start looking and listening for new main speakers in the $800-1500 range.

This is one of the brands I've been thinking about (along with B&W, Paradigm and others). I know this is a very subjective thing and I'll buy the

speakers that sound best to me. Are Polk considered lower-end speakers or would they be worth considering (I am considering Polk because I have

Polk -entry level floor standing speakers about 11 years old along with Polk

center and Infinity surrounds--I'll upgrade the surrounds later and was hoping maybe the Polk center channel I have now will match up with the newer Polks). Just like an opinion on Polk Audio speakers. I live in central Alabama and am a little limited on the brands I can listen to (unless I take

a day trip to Atlanta-which I may do).

·
Registered
674 Posts
No, this place isn't just for megabuck...

Give it some time....

What forums have you posted on?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I loved the sound of past Polk products. By past, I mean their speakers from 12-18 years ago. The sound characteristics have changed since those days but they still make good speakers. But my taste (and budget:D) has changed as well. I might not buy the same speakers now as I did 10 years ago. It just depends on your individual taste which is the key to speaker preference. Go with what your ears (and wallet) tell you. Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To GlueGun: Most of my posts have been in the HDTV sections. I upgraded

my video (Mits RPTV, progressive scan DVD and hi def satellite receiver) and

now want to start upgrading my audio. After the amount I've spent on video in the last few months I want to get some good speakers but I don't have an unlimited budget. There is a lot more activity in the HDTV forums so I guess I was just not patient enough waiting for a response. (MadDog-

thanks for the reply).

·
Banned
46 Posts
Polk still has good speakers, they just aren't always better like they used to be. The RT800 is a very capable speaker mated with a descent sub. I dont like the RT1000 or the 2000 because Paradigm makes better speakers in that multi-role speaker (built in subwoofers). The RT3000 is a nice setup but overpriced compared to other brands. Polk Audio changed alot when they entered into the car audio scene. Just my opinion but they arent what they used to be. I do own an SRT system but wouldn't consider anything else in the Polk lineup if I were to change. Paradigm Studio 100s are very good sounding and can be had for a very good price used. Infinity Overture 3s were also very good sounding. Have you looked into Divas? I haven't heard them but they get good reviews here. just my .02

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The new LSi series looks promising and has been getting good reviews. It uses the Vifa XT ring radiator for HF.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was getting the impression that Polk is not the company or speaker it used to be. They seem to be becomming a massed produced speaker (now available at your local Circuit City). Although, I have bought some products at CC I have always considered their speakers to be lower end

products and I guess Polk, except for the LSi series, fits in that catagory.

Maybe, I'm a little snobbish. I'll still auditon Polk (if I can find them

anywhere but CC-the dealer I bought my original Polks from no longer carries them). There are a number of speakers in my price range I want

to audition (Paradigm, B&W-not Nautilus-,PSD, JB Labs, Energy, etc). I have read good reviews of the Swan Divas and have been to the web site,

but I am a little afraid to order speakers without ever hearing them.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Which web site did you check for the Divas? ********** is the dealer, but there is an official unofficial FAQ page here. I would love to try and lure you to the dark side. The Divas are wonderful speakers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am also looking for speakers. From your first post it seems like you are going to listen to several brands of speakers.

Just to relate my experience from the past couple days... (as you might get a chance to listen to them too).

I've listened to:

NHT (ST-4); http://www.nhthifi.com/home.asp

JM Labs (? around $850)

B&W (600 Series (603)); and

Diva (6.1)

I brought a wide range of CDs to sample. Things I actually listen to. :p It went from classical, opera, live rock, rock, drum solo's, etc. Something that tested the highs, mids and lows and other areas. Anyways, I was able to A/B the JM Labs and the NHT. I already listened the NHT's before and liked them better then the JM Labs form the one sample I heard (rock). The JM Labs made the music seem muddy (some people say warm). I just liked how the NHT's sounded, so I really hit the NHT's hard with my samples. Then on the classical stuff I decided to hear the JM Labs, since I heard that they were better for classical. And man were they. They are great... there is was a lot more presence from it then the NHT's. The music seemed fuller. The salesman suggested that the next series up on the JM Labs ($1000 satellites or $1600 towers in the Colbalt? series might be better for me [after they figured out my tastes a bit more]). I'm going to go back and check them out. They are supposed to match up better to the NHT's for things other then classical and opera. Anyways, before this I listened to the Diva's 6.1. To sum it up, my wife and I liked the diva's sound a lot more then the JM Labs or the NHT's. The one negative with the diva's that we found was that the "sweet" spot was very small, but this could be due to the set up. The person I auditioned the diva's with hadn't completely set up the speakers yet. Oh yeah, how did the diva's compare to the B&W's 600 series. In my mind the diva's sounded better, but my wife and I want to compare the diva 6.1's to the B&W CM Series (CM4 specifically). We listend to the CM4's about 6 months ago and loved them. They sounded better then the Klipsh, and B&W 600's.

Anyways, that's my story. You might find the same thing... you might not... :D

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SD493
I don't see this brand mentioned very often here. I am about to start looking and listening for new main speakers in the $800-1500 range.

This is one of the brands I've been thinking about (along with B&W, Paradigm and others). I know this is a very subjective thing and I'll buy the

speakers that sound best to me. Are Polk considered lower-end speakers or would they be worth considering (I am considering Polk because I have

Polk -entry level floor standing speakers about 11 years old along with Polk

center and Infinity surrounds--I'll upgrade the surrounds later and was hoping maybe the Polk center channel I have now will match up with the newer Polks). Just like an opinion on Polk Audio speakers. I live in central Alabama and am a little limited on the brands I can listen to (unless I take

a day trip to Atlanta-which I may do).
Polk audio, in my opinion, makes some very nice sounding speakers at affordable prices. If you are going to get Polk, don't get the speakers with the subs built in, I don't like those, the bass sound kind of muddy. I would go with a good set of speakers without of the built in subs and a get good external sub to go along with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
when first looking at speakers I thought Polk was the bees knees but after listening and looking around I didn't see much mention on the 'net about them. I then auditioned a set of those big RT2000 (twin sub floor standers) next to some Kef Q5 series (last years range), the previous years Q5 series, and some Tannoy Saturns S10s. The polks didn't even get a look in, even weighing in at $2000NZD more than the Kefs and Tannoys. The Polks seemed to have everything up top and down low but nothing in between. The Kefs had beautiful vocal imaging. The Tannoys sounded quite 'full' like they reproduced everything...

The best advice I've ever heard and practiced was just to sit down and audition speakers side by side. Let your ears be the judge.

I still haven't decided on speakers though..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. I already have a home theater set up with a Velodyn sub that I like, so I'm not looking for speakers with a built in sub.

I'll probably get a matching center channel speaker as my present one probably will not match up too well with the main speakers I get. I'll worry

about replacing the surrounds later. I'll use them for home theater but I listen to a lot of classical music also, so I want speakers that can do both well (I know I may have to make some compromise). In my first post I

said I was a little limited as to the speakers I can audition in my home town (Montgomery, AL) but today I found a fairly new dealer that carries

Atlantic Tech., Monitor Audio, Energy and will shortly have B&W. The dealer I bought my original Polk from carries Paradigm and Definitive Technology (but I don't want speakers with powered subwoofers and that all I've seen

by DF). Add to that the Divas (I still a little leery about getting speakers before I hear them). What speakers do you recoommend for both home theater and music (mainly calssical) use. I'd like to keep it under $1500 but

I am a little flexible.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Def Tech makes speakers without subs. The BP10's and BP30's are bipolar floorstanders that do not have powered subs built in. I have a pair of BP10's and think that they are pretty decent speakers. Not great but good. They are great for HT and great for general music listening since they have a huge sweet spot. If you do lots of critical listening from your ideal listening spot, you're better off looking elsewhere. Due to their bipolar design, they throw out a huge soundstage that really surrounds you but at the expense of imaging. Also if you like a sweeter sound, these won't cut it since they kind of lack in the mid range frequencies and don't provide the fullness in the mids like i've heard from other speakers. Upgrading my amp helped out in this area greatly. Anyways for the $ the BP10's are pretty good (at least based on what I paid for them) but there are better out there. Another good thing about them is that they are high sensitivity speakers at 90dB's which means you don't need a whole lot of power to make them play loud. More power does make them play better though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, assuming that you like a warmer sound (and you doing think it'll be muddy), I'd suggest trying out the JMLabs. This is mainly due to your comment: "but I listen to a lot of classical music also" The JMLabs were really more impressive then the NHT for classical. I can't say how the JMLabs will preform for HT.

As far as the Diva's go, look into http://www.audioenvy.com/ There might be someone in your area. After trying out the Diva 6.1's, I feel pretty good about the Diva's in general (FYI). The ********** site has some specials listed.

This one might interest you ( http://**********/specials.shtml# ):

Diva 4.1 ($699 regular, $599 special)

Diva C3 ($499)

Diva 2.1 ($399, free)

===============

$1098 + Shipping.

For HT, people seem of the opinion that the dipole Diva R3's are better. There isn't a special listed on the ********** site but you can call av123 and see if they can do anything for you.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
SD493,

I know that you say you are not interested in speakers with built in subs, but for others who will read this thread, I feel that I must stick up for the RT2000's. I have had a pair of these for a bit over a year now, and I find them to be an excellent speaker. I have them coupled with a CS245 center channel, and a pair of (older) 5jr surrounds. I use this setup for my HT as well as a lot of music listening. The polks have an excellent soundstage, and to my ear they are not too muddy - not too harsh.

While I admit that these are not the 'best speakers that can be had anywhere at any price' they do represent an excellent choice for a high quality mid-fi speaker.

I have had a chance to A/B Polks with many other comparable mid-fi brands in a similar price range, and the Polks compare very favorably to these.

Also, no one has yet mentioned Polk's excellent customer support. I think that anyone who has had any dealings with them would be able to tell you that they are second to none when it comes to service.

Just my .02

David

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have owned a set of LS90s for many years. When I blew out a tweeter recently, I called Polks 800 number and they took my credit card info and I had a new one in a couple of days. I didn't have to leave the house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.