AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is starting a home theater and has recently purchased a Denon 1613 receiver. He has all the speakers/ sub picked out except for the center channel. He was unsure about going with the CS10 or the smaller TL3. He originally wanted the TL3 since it was easier to fit by the TV however he was wondering if the sound quality/ performance will be much higher if he went with the larger CS10.

We both understand questions like this are hard to answer since there are so many factors but any thoughts or even guesses on the topic will be appreciated. Also the movie room is about 16x11.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
IMO the CS10 is a very poor center speaker. The TL 3 would be better. The CSiA4 would possibly be much better.

I have found that center speakers with smaller drivers (around 4" or so) are often able to do a better job of reproducing the critical midrange frequencies and making the sound clearer.

I think it is best to have a center speaker that does not go below 100 Hz; others may disagree, but that's what I have found to be true.

One of the best center speakers i have ever heard is the Cambridge S50, which has 4-inch drivers.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by splmachine  /t/1471666/polk-cs10-vs-tl3#post_23287610

My friend is starting a home theater and has recently purchased a Denon 1613 receiver. He has all the speakers/ sub picked out except for the center channel. He was unsure about going with the CS10 or the smaller TL3. He originally wanted the TL3 since it was easier to fit by the TV however he was wondering if the sound quality/ performance will be much higher if he went with the larger CS10.

We both understand questions like this are hard to answer since there are so many factors but any thoughts or even guesses on the topic will be appreciated. Also the movie room is about 16x11.

Thanks!

What other speakers does your friend have??? He should buy whichever center speaker is meant to go with his other speakers. It is very important that the front 3 speakers match.

I have a center with dual 8" woofers and it does an excellent job of reproducing the midrange. So don't really worry about the size of the drivers other than ideally you want the drivers to be the same size in the front 3 speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello flickhtguru, he is going to be getting the Polk Monitor 55T's for the fronts and some smaller polk sats for the rear. The sub will most likely be a Polk 10", that he is still figuring out as well.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Ok the matching center for the 55Ts is the 15C, I would strongly recommend getting the 15C center for best front soundstage.

As far as the sub goes... What's his budget? there are some much better options than Polk subs for even under $300. FYI the sub doesn't need to be from the same company as the speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm wondering what the difference really is between the CS10 and the 15C. Maybe the 15C is newer but the specs look pretty close (unless it's just the quality of the parts that make the difference). We are still working on the sub but first he is more concerned with the center

·
Registered
2,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by splmachine  /t/1471666/polk-cs10-vs-tl3/0_100#post_23288607

I'm wondering what the difference really is between the CS10 and the 15C. Maybe the 15C is newer but the specs look pretty close (unless it's just the quality of the parts that make the difference). We are still working on the sub but first he is more concerned with the center

the 15C is the match for the new monitor series. the CS10 is the match for the TSi series. Both speakers are nearly identical (along with the CS1 for that matter, which matches the older monitor series). The biggest difference between all these speakers is cosmetic. Sonically, build quality and overall performance are nearly identical. The bigger brother of these speakers (25C, CS20 or CS2) are "better", but that doesn't mean these guys are bad for what they are and in the right set up can work just fine. I use the CS1 paired with monitor 50's in a 3.0 bedroom set up and have no issues with dialog intelligibility. Since I have no sub in this set up I run the 50's as "large" or " full range" and cross the CS1 to them at 80hz and the performance is fine for this set up.

Of note, it is best to match your center speaker to you mains. Your front sound stage should consist of a) 3 identical matching speakers or b) manufacturers recommended matching center in the same model line as your mains. One of the potentially worst things you can do is mix and match your center and mains with different speaker brands and or models.

Also it worth while to note that the above poster recommending a center with small 4in drivers and crossovers of at least 100hz or higher is inherently wrong. the center channel is not just for voices, it is for every sound, music, dialog, effect that is anchored to the screen. A good center will go down to at least around 60hz before the -3 roll off point so you can set your crossover in your avr to at least 80hz and have clean performance. Any center crossed at 100hz/120hz will force dialog, especially male voices, to come from your sub woofer...which sounds like crap....along with loosing the generally perceived non-directional nature of bass frequency of 80hz and lower. imagine hearing someone like james earl jones speaking half from your center speaker in front of you and half from your sub woofer in the corner of the room..and due to high crossover it is obvious that the sub is in the corner. You will have two localizable sources for this guys voice when you should never be aware of where the sub is...low bass is non-directional and all voices/dialog should be coming from the center channel (or possibly from another speaker channel if the scene/mix warrants it).

I'd liked to add that the TL3 center is nothing but a glorified HTiB type speaker. useful if you run only satellite type speakers, but any one running a decent set of bookshelves or towers will need a "proper" center to achieve best sonic results.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Correct. The Center channel must match the front L/R, not only as a timbre (mostly tweeter0 match, but should also have a similar dynamic capability as the L/R!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts