AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my Polk CS2 and it is rather large as suspected. What do you guys suggest I do with this speaker? Will it be ok on the mantle like this? I will need to pull it out to attach the speakers even more and am afraid it will tip over. I am thinking of getting sticky tape for the bottom so it won't move. Do you think it will look tacky sticking out this much? How much farther should I pull it out so it breaths correctly?

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
Hope you've got some Blu Tack or Velcro underneath holding that speaker in place! Otherwise looks good.

You must not live in earthquake territory.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarf1033 /forum/post/15537443

So I just got my Polk CS2 and it is rather large as suspected. What do you guys suggest I do with this speaker? Will it be ok on the mantle like this? I will need to pull it out to attach the speakers even more and am afraid it will tip over. I am thinking of getting sticky tape for the bottom so it won't move. Do you think it will look tacky sticking out this much? How much farther should I pull it out so it breaths correctly?

Couple of thoughts, off the top of my head:

- Sticky tape won't do the trick, once it's pushed out another inch or two. If you choose to keep it on the mantle, I would suggest putting two or three thin strips of steel under the center. Screw them in to the mantle so they can help hold it up. (If you're married, expect some blow back if you try this method.)

- You can have the grill cloth dyed white or replaced with white grill cloth. It'll help the aesthetics.

- Have a carpenter build you a larger mantle, with the center channel taken into consideration? It doesn't even have to be an entirely new mantle. Just a deeper top piece with decorative molding on the edges, painted to match.

- Is it possible to put the center over the TV, as opposed to under?

Other stuff:

- Your mains are too close together, and too close to the back wall.

- The equipment rack needs to be behind the baffle of your front speakers. Move it (and the speakers), if you can.

- Again, my suggestion here is to hire a carpenter to build you a larger mantle with some shelving/equipment storage off to the sides. Kills two birds with one stone, and it's not as expensive as you think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribalding /forum/post/15537628

Couple of thoughts, off the top of my head:

- Sticky tape won't do the trick, once it's pushed out another inch or two. If you choose to keep it on the mantle, I would suggest putting two or three thin strips of steel under the center. Screw them in to the mantle so they can help hold it up. (If you're married, expect some blow back if you try this method.)

- You can have the grill cloth dyed white or replaced with white grill cloth. It'll help the aesthetics.

- Have a carpenter build you a larger mantle, with the center channel taken into consideration? It doesn't even have to be an entirely new mantle. Just a deeper top piece with decorative molding on the edges, painted to match.

- Is it possible to put the center over the TV, as opposed to under?

Other stuff:

- Your mains are too close together, and too close to the back wall.

- The equipment rack needs to be behind the baffle of your front speakers. Move it (and the speakers), if you can.

- Again, my suggestion here is to hire a carpenter to build you a larger mantle with some shelving/equipment storage off to the sides. Kills two birds with one stone, and it's not as expensive as you think.

Uggh I'm in some serious dog house with the wife right now. She thinks the speakers are to large obviously and wants the floor speakers pushed back as far as they can and not on the marble fireplace. So I moved them on to the capet and had to move my stereo cabinet over to make it work. You said that I need to have the speakers out in front of the stereo cabinet why? Will they work just as well up against the wall or will I be sacrificing sound?

I like your suggestion of a larger mantle, but is it worth doing this for the speaker? I'm considering returning the speaker to newegg.com and going with something smaller but it's just a thought.

There is room above the TV, but it would stick out just as far as the mantle only it would be above now instead of below the tv. Not sure how that would look and also don't have a stand to make it work. What do you think?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Newegg.com has a Polk CS10 that is $20 more that what I paid for the CS2 and is 2" smaller. There also is the Polk CS1 that is 2" smaller. Wouldn't I be in better shape if I went with one of those instead? I mean 2" would probably save me a lot of hassle.

·
Premium Member
14,186 Posts
If you use that fireplace, you need to move all your speakers well away from it. The intense heat generated by a fireplace will be very detrimental to speakers over the long term. Wood veneers will dry out and crack. Vinyl coverings will fade and discolor. Speaker surrounds will rot and crack. Even the CC located above the fireplace will be affected. In fact, since heat rises, it may be more impacted than the L/R's.

Here's a suggestion for you: consider one of the soundbar options:
http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/quantumplasma9.html
http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/...in-1-overview/

Mount either one of these just below the display, on the mantle. The mantel should block the excessive heat, while the speakers will provide a more seamless front soundstage than your current staggered L/C/R arrangement.

Craig

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don't use the fireplace being that we're in NC and it typically doesn't get cold long enough for it. So I don't have that to worry about.

·
Premium Member
14,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarf1033 /forum/post/15538621

We don't use the fireplace being that we're in NC and it typically doesn't get cold long enough for it. So I don't have that to worry about.

Consider one of those soundbars anyway. You'll benefit form an acoustics *and* an aesthetics standpoint. Improving the WAF has side-benefits.

Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts