·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some thoughts on floor standing speakers. I have the below set up:

Denon AVR-E400
Polk Audio Blackstone TL350
Polk PSW111-BK sub

I am looking to add 2 floor standing speakers to add to the experience, but do not want to spend a lot. I saw couple of deals (not sure whether it is a real deal) on Fry's at a nominal price. Saw the reviews on internet and realized that these are old models.

POLK AUDIO Floorstanding Tower, 6.5" Mid/Bass Drivers (R300) - $ 49 each
Polk Audio Monitor 50 - Two-Way Floorstanding Speaker - Black - $ 69 each

Are these worth the money?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I am not a fan of the lower end Polks like the R series

I had speakers from the Monitor line and I felt they were a set-up for my front speakers from my Polk RM6750 5.1... I had Polk RTi4's with a CSi3 center with the Polk RM6750's satellites as surrounds for awhile and I thought that was a great setup. I still have my RTi4's with CSi3 center and love them

Personally I would just save your money until you can get some of the Polk RTi8's, they are $400 for black and $320 shipped for cherry on Polk's Ebay site.

·
Premium Member
13,401 Posts
Newbie786 said:

They may not be great speakers, but I can't imagine they wouldn't be worth the little money they cost.

That said, and IMO, spend a little more and get something better: Pioneer SP-FS52 ($89.99/ea., shipped, at Amazon.com)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO, spend a little more and get something better: Pioneer SP-FS52 ($89.99/ea., shipped, at Amazon.com)
Thanks for the link. I am leaning towards the Pioneer option you suggested. My questions is, does it go well with the combination I have i.e. Polk Audio Blackstone TL350 & Polk PSW111-BK sub?

Below is what Crutchfield guy says when I asked why not a different brand instead of his suggestion - a Polk Floor standing speaker ($ 250 each).

"For the best surround sound the tweeters need to match across the front. This way you get a uniform surround rather than certain speakers standing out over others."

I think receiver is the one that controls the music output, so wondering whether it makes a huge difference if I add Pioneers instead of Polk floor sanding speakers. Thoughts pls?

·
Registered
29,116 Posts
They're worth the money since they only cost $49 and $69 each respectively. But the Infinity Primus P363 tower goes on sale for $99 each and I think it is a better speaker than either Polk.

If those two Polks are your only feasible options I'd take the Monitor 50 over the R300.

·
Premium Member
13,401 Posts
Newbie786 said:
Thanks for the link. I am leaning towards the Pioneer option you suggested. My questions is, does it go well with the combination I have i.e. Polk Audio Blackstone TL350 ...
Not sure how it'll blend with that CC speaker, but give it a try. If it doesn't work out, one option is to replace the Polk CC speaker with the matching Pioneer Andrew Jones CC speaker - the SP-C22, currently on sale at BB.com for $70.

·
Registered
29,116 Posts
Is the Infinity better than the Pioneer? That would be a listener preference. But if you have a Frys.nearby they carry both speakers and you can decide for yourself. They are usually in the same sound room.

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Need some thoughts on floor standing speakers. I have the below set up:

Denon AVR-E400
Polk Audio Blackstone TL350
Polk PSW111-BK sub

I am looking to add 2 floor standing speakers to add to the experience, but do not want to spend a lot. I saw couple of deals (not sure whether it is a real deal) on Fry's at a nominal price. Saw the reviews on internet and realized that these are old models.

IMO you would be giving up quality for quantity by going with pretty much any of the budget towers.

The TL350 uses a slightly smaller version of the tweeter Polk uses in their high end LS series.

The TL350 within its frequency range will have a significant advantage in mid-range and high end detail.

Why do you want floor standing speakers? Is your listening position far?

Here's a review. You actually have very good speakers for their size and design limitations that go with the small size.
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-polk-audio-blackstone-tl350

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is your listening position far?
My viewing distance is about 15 feet. Its not a dedicated room though.

Why do you want floor standing speakers?
My initial plan was 5.1, but wanted to get a better experience so thought of making it a 7.1. Saw that I just need to add floor standing speakers.

So now I have few options to pick from :)

Polk Audio TSx330T Floorstanding Speaker - Black Finish - $187 each
Pioneer SP-FS52 - $ 89

If Pioneer goes well with the existing set up, I will just go with that. But not sure though. Or maybe go with TSx330T if what Crutch field guy said is right.

This forum has been very helpful and thanks for guiding me as I set up my first HT. Pls suggest which one should I go with considering the viewing distance and set up.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
My viewing distance is about 15 feet. Its not a dedicated room though.

My initial plan was 5.1, but wanted to get a better experience so thought of making it a 7.1. Saw that I just need to add floor standing speakers.

So now I have few options to pick from :)

Polk Audio TSx330T Floorstanding Speaker - Black Finish - $187 each
Pioneer SP-FS52 - $ 89

If Pioneer goes well with the existing set up, I will just go with that. But not sure though. Or maybe go with TSx330T if what Crutch field guy said is right.

This forum has been very helpful and thanks for guiding me as I set up my first HT. Pls suggest which one should I go with considering the viewing distance and set up.
I'd rather see you with Polk RTi-Series speakers is you have close to $400 in black you can get a brand new pair of Polk RTi8's from Polk's Ebay store which are the previous verision of the current Polk RTi A5's they just look different but sound the exact same.

The RTi's will mach up better with your TL350 center

1 - 13 of 13 Posts