AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am thinking about upgrading my rti8 to the lsi 15 but they are rated 4 ohms and i am not sure that my av will push them. i swear i read some where that it would but i just can't find the post. i know the the sc 05 is only good for 8-6 ohms but i remember in the post they said it has enough power. i am right or was i imagining this?

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtowntke /forum/post/16924721

hi i am thinking about upgrading my rti8 to the lsi 15 but they are rated 4 ohms and i am not sure that my av will push them. i swear i read some where that it would but i just can't find the post. i know the the sc 05 is only good for 8-6 ohms but i remember in the post they said it has enough power. i am right or was i imagining this?

This isn't a good idea. The lsi models are power hungry and inefficient and aren't designed for avr's. You'll be opening up a can of worms and your wallet for more amplification. It's not worth it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A few months back when I was considering an SC05 purchase, the 4ohm drive was what settled it for me. I found in the giant SC05/07 thread that someone had tested 4ohm and, yes it works, but it was measured as bandwidth constricted when pushed. So, bottom line, if you want 4ohm with good drive and no worries, the SC amps are not a great solution.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm pretty sure that was information from a review by none other than Auidoholics' Gene DellaSala. His complaint, if I remember correctly, was that the SC-05/07 ICE amps restricted bandwidth on full bandwidth tests. Your AVR will rarely run full bandwidth, making that some what situational. I don't know the RTi series too well, what is the nominal impedance of the other speakers? The Pio can probably handle a pair of 4ohms speakers without complaint. If your wire runs are long, or if you plan on really cranking the volume, I agree that you should look into a new amp. Preferably separates.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
If you spend more time on the SC05/07 thread you will see many individuals who own both receivers pushing 4ohm speakers without issue. Why replace such a great receiver, one of the best values to be had this year?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts