AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

I bought the Polk lsi15 speakers today on amazon for $499 each. I have a Yamaha rx-v673 receiver which has no pre outs. Its still in the return period on amazon. Will this Yamaha receiver be able to power the LSI15s? I'm on a budget and dont want to break my bank for an expensive receiver.

1) What are my options?

2) Will bi amping help?

3) Will this Yamaha receiver support 4 ohm speakers?

I plan to purchase the LSI center and surrounds next month (budget concerns). I watch equal amount of movies as the amount of music.

Please help guys!

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Depends on listening distance, room size, and volume, but generally I would say if you are planning to run a full set of those Polks, no, they are a very heavy load that drop down as far as 2 ohms in some cases.

You will need a beefier receiver. You can look for a used Onkyo 805/875 on ebay, should be able to get one for less than $300. They are 50lb beasts. Do you plan on using 3D?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I plan to buy the LSI center and surrounds next month. So I have to plan up or the load. Cannot break the bank. The room is 21x 15.

I'm looking for used onkyo 805/875 and the pioneer sc-1522 suggested above.. I want network ready and iPod/iPad ready receiver. Any suggestions or do the above receivers support air play with iPod/iPad? The pioneer option seems to be pretty expensive.

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peerguy  /t/1469222/polk-lsi15-on-yamaha-rx-v673#post_23228090

Thanks for the replies. I plan to buy the LSI center and surrounds next month. So I have to plan up or the load. Cannot break the bank. The room is 21x 15.

I'm looking for used onkyo 805/875 and the pioneer sc-1522 suggested above.. I want network ready and iPod/iPad ready receiver. Any suggestions or do the above receivers support air play with iPod/iPad? The pioneer option seems to be pretty expensive.

Thanks
Costco sells the Pioneer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wronganswer  /t/1469222/polk-lsi15-on-yamaha-rx-v673#post_23228117

Costco sells the Pioneer.
I went to a local Best Buy store and they had the pioneer Elite series receiver on sale. I forgot the model number ..dang my bad. It was on sale for $350 since its the last floor model. It outputs 110W per channel. Keep in mind it's Pioneer's Elite series.

Can I buy this avr and bi amp the LSI 15s to give each speaker 110+110 watts = 220 watts? I don't want to break the bank for a receiver. Maybe later on I can buy a decent amplifier to go with this receiver. What do you think? Appreciate inputs, critics, and comments.

The pioneer elite avr goes for $800 online and Best Buy has it for $350 in clearance. I'll call them up tomorrow and find out the model number.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peerguy  /t/1469222/polk-lsi15-on-yamaha-rx-v673#post_23229943

I went to a local Best Buy store and they had the pioneer Elite series receiver on sale. I forgot the model number ..dang my bad. It was on sale for $350 since its the last floor model. It outputs 110W per channel. Keep in mind it's Pioneer's Elite series.

Can I buy this avr and bi amp the LSI 15s to give each speaker 110+110 watts = 220 watts? I don't want to break the bank for a receiver. Maybe later on I can buy a decent amplifier to go with this receiver. What do you think? Appreciate inputs, critics, and comments.

The pioneer elite avr goes for $800 online and Best Buy has it for $350 in clearance. I'll call them up tomorrow and find out the model number.
I guess is the sc61, similar to the non elite sc1222. The sc1522 is similar to the elite sc65 and is on sale @ Costco for 549. Anyway the sc61 capable of driving those speakers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wronganswer  /t/1469222/polk-lsi15-on-yamaha-rx-v673#post_23230030

I guess is the sc61, similar to the non elite sc1222. The sc1522 is similar to the elite sc65 and is on sale @ Costco for 549. Anyway the sc61 capable of driving those speakers
Yeah .. I think it was sc-61. I'll pick it up for $350 tomorrow and spend the saved money on a decent amplifier. Expecting the LSIs to be delivered in 2 days. Can't wait to test these bad boys. I'll provide an update after testing. Thanks for your inputs 'wronganswer'. Jeez what a name!

And all this happening on a budget. Sale sale sale! I'll build it into an LSI 5.1 home theater later when budget approves and break in with 100 hours of music till then.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peerguy  /t/1469222/polk-lsi15-on-yamaha-rx-v673#post_23229943

You wont be putting any more wattage to your Polks by bi amping that way with that Pioneer receiver or any receiver. What you need is a 4ohm stable AVR or dedicated amplifier. Until you do that you're just wasting your time with those speakers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel  /t/1469222/polk-lsi15-on-yamaha-rx-v673#post_23230283

You wont be putting any more wattage to your Polks by bi amping that way with that Pioneer receiver or any receiver. What you need is a 4ohm stable AVR or dedicated amplifier. Until you do that you're just wasting your time with those speakers.
How about purchasing the pioneer elite sc-61 receiver (it outputs 125 watts per channel. Correction from 110 watts per channel) and the Rotel-ra985 amplifier suggested above?

If I'm buying an amplifier then do I need to break the bank with a high power receiver as well? Especially if I'm getting the pioneer sc-61 for $350. I am trying to understand subtle technical details so I can actually use these beautiful speakers to their potential. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel  /t/1469222/polk-lsi15-on-yamaha-rx-v673#post_23230283

i agree a power amp is needed for those beasts. I would consider a pair of rti-a7's if one is relying on reciever power only. even at that a external amp would still be better.

·
Registered
29,115 Posts
the sc-61 is rated for 4 ohm loads. it may do okay by itself but if not at least you'll have a receiver with preouts so that you can add an amp.

i would return the 673 and pick up the SC-61 for $350.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

I used to run the LSi15's with a Marantz SR7005 and then a Denon 4311 for a short while and then sold the LSi's.  I'd recommend you get a receiver with the features you want that has pre-outs. You'll be able to drive them at moderate levels till you can get an amp to really open those LSi's up to their full potential. If you don't sit too far back from the speakers the moderate levels may do it for you till you get an amp.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1469222/polk-lsi15-on-yamaha-rx-v673#post_23230557

the sc-61 is rated for 4 ohm loads. it may do okay by itself but if not at least you'll have a receiver with preouts so that you can add an amp.

+1

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1469222/polk-lsi15-on-yamaha-rx-v673#post_23230557

Yup. I have returned the Yamaha 673 to Amazon already. Getting a full refund. Will pick up the Pioneer sc-61 tomorrow at Best Buy for $350 and shop around for the Emotiva amplifier. Again Will check out a few best buys for floor model amplifiers. My concern was I didn't want to burn out the receiver / speakers. Looks like the SC-61 is rated at 4 ohms.. Lol. Budget system with the LSIs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The SC-61 should be fine, but one thing to note, most 100W/CH receivers are measured at 1KHz, they don't do that much power in the bass frequencies. If you want to run all your speakers off just the receiver, you should get a good sub, cross it over at 80 Hz, and then I would say don't worry about power amps because these receivers will indeed supply 100W/CH to all 7 channels.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts