AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Polks are rated at 4ohms, and my Pio Elite outputs at 8ohms, but do you think there is ample power for these speakers from the Pio? or am I missing out by not having an external amp? LSi15's fronts, LSiC center, FXI-A4 surrounds. Anybody have this combo? just curious as to what settings you use also. Has anybody done any easy "tweaks" to the Polk speakers? I heard of people stuffing there port hole to get "better" bass response, and to replace the metal jumper with regular audio cable, does this really have a noticeable effect to the sound? Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I don't know anything about your particular receiver, but my experience trying to drive Polk LSi's with a powerful receiver rated for 8 ohm output was very unsatisfactory. I blew multiple power supply fuses and finally got an amp rated for 4 ohm output. Outlaw and Emotiva make some reasonably priced amps that should work well with the LSi's.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINADS /forum/post/14330289

I know the Polks are rated at 4ohms, and my Pio Elite outputs at 8ohms, but do you think there is ample power for these speakers from the Pio? or am I missing out by not having an external amp? LSi15's fronts, LSiC center, FXI-A4 surrounds. Anybody have this combo? just curious as to what settings you use also. Has anybody done any easy "tweaks" to the Polk speakers? I heard of people stuffing there port hole to get "better" bass response, and to replace the metal jumper with regular audio cable, does this really have a noticeable effect to the sound? Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated.

Have you ever turned up the volume then the receiver overloaded and it shut down? This can happen during a movie when there is an explosion.

I ran Polk LSi15 fronts and LSiC using a Pioneer VSX-1014TX receiver for a couple of years. I used Polk RT100's for the rears. I set the Pioneer to 6 ohms. This worked ok. Then I got two LSi25's and moved them to the front with the LSI15's going to the back replacing the RT100's.

I found the problem with receiver overload and found a short term remedy by using the unused surround back channels to biamp the LSi25's. I finally purchased the Emotiva LPA-1 amp and this has worked out really well. The Polk LSi speakers sound much better as a result. I since then added a LSiC for a surround back speaker. This amp has been replaced by the UPA-7

·
Registered
725 Posts
I wouldn't try to put unnecessary strain on your receiver by powering those LSi's. The LSi's strive on power and the more you give them the better they sound.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs /forum/post/14332049

I wouldn't try to put unnecessary strain on your receiver by powering those LSi's. The LSi's strive on power and the more you give them the better they sound.

I couldn't agree more and certainly found this out after getting a separate amp. I'm even thinking of a more powerful amp such as the XPA-3 for the three front LSi speakers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was determined to get the LSI-15's, LSIC, LSIFX, and a PSW-1000 sub. Then as most find out in my reading. You should power them from a separate amp. I originally hadn't planned on separates but wanted the speaker setup. I ended up with a HK AVR-520 as a receiver/pre and a Sherwood/Newcastle A-965 as a seven channel amp. I used four channels to bi-amp the LSI-15's and one channel for the center. The other two channels feed the surround speakers. PSW-1000 has it's own amp to drive it off of the preamp output. I love my setup. I probably could have spent a ton more on an amp but you get into that range of a bunch more money only yielding marginal improvements. The A-965 was new. From all I've read, if you chose to go down the path of driving the speakers off of your receiver, don't condemn the speakers for sounding terrible when you are not providing them enough power. It isn't their fault, it's yours for not meeting the speakers requirement for power. A bunch of people bought these speakers when Fry's had a great deal on them and then complained that the speakers were terrible. This comes from people trying to drive them with receivers rated at around 100W per channel at 8 ohms.

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsmith /forum/post/14337272

I was determined to get the LSI-15's, LSIC, LSIFX, and a PSW-1000 sub. Then as most find out in my reading. You should power them from a separate amp. I originally hadn't planned on separates but wanted the speaker setup. I ended up with a HK AVR-520 as a receiver/pre and a Sherwood/Newcastle A-965 as a seven channel amp. I used four channels to bi-amp the LSI-15's and one channel for the center. The other two channels feed the surround speakers. PSW-1000 has it's own amp to drive it off of the preamp output. I love my setup. I probably could have spent a ton more on an amp but you get into that range of a bunch more money only yielding marginal improvements. The A-965 was new. From all I've read, if you chose to go down the path of driving the speakers off of your receiver, don't condemn the speakers for sounding terrible when you are not providing them enough power. It isn't their fault, it's yours for not meeting the speakers requirement for power. A bunch of people bought these speakers when Fry's had a great deal on them and then complained that the speakers were terrible. This comes from people trying to drive them with receivers rated at around 100W per channel at 8 ohms.

What made you go with the seperate PSW-1000 sub when the LSI15's already had powered subs built-in (albeit not as powerful as the subs in the LSi25's)?

·
Registered
106 Posts
My LSI-15's do not have a power sub. At least not that I'm aware of. There is no power cord running to the speaker as was the case with my Acoustic Reseach AR-1's I previously owned. I thought the difference between the LSI-15's and the 25's was that when you bought the 25's you got the powered sub. I could be wrong. I do know that the PSW-1000 is pretty healthy. Plenty of bass for me and I don't really crank it. It's a decent sized room so I went with it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I definitely won't condemn the speakers in anyway, I actually think they sound Amazing & is a HUGE improvement from my Bose set up & Onkyo HTIB set up. I live in my condo, and generally my listening levels are relatively low, but I do sometimes 'let it go', I also know that I could get more with more power, It seems that my Pio Elite handles them well, I've never had an issue with overheating or anything, I'm not sure if it outputs in 6ohms, I'll check into that, I keep hearing that the sound improvement with an amp is amazing, I've got great suggestions from you guys & will have to decide on what I want. By the way, the LSi 15's do NOT have powered subs in them, but the LSi 25's do. I actually purchased my entire Polk Speaker set up on a whim, it all happened when Tweeter went out of business, everything was 50-60% off!! I jumped on the opportunity and saw the LSi15's, I of course bought them along w/ the FX-A4's, but had to drive to another store from San Diego to L.A. for the LSiC, which was well worth the drive for these amazing speakers!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
To change the impedance on a 94 you do the following:

1. With the receiver in standby, press STANDBY/ON while holding down the SETUP button.

2. Select SPEAKER using UP/DOWN, then select 8 ohms or 6 ohms using LEFT/RIGHT.

Naturally the 82 may be different or not even have the option.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I don't recommend changing the impedence on the AVR. That actually limits the current to avoid overheating. The LSis need that current. Leave it in the stock setting and watch the volume. Eventually, get them on an amp (at least the fronts) and take the load off your pre.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts